Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryoken, Nov 11, 2004.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hey guys, i could use a little tranny advice.

here's the situation.. my 87 has the 700r4/208 combo in it. i've been trying to decide whether to keep the auto or stick in the 465/205 combo out of the 77 i parted out.

my heart really wants to go manual but my brain says keep the overdrive and 15 mpg. tho i tend to have a heavy rightfoot and assume that the 465 will hold up hella better than even a BTO 700.

it is my daily driver and gets lots of highway usage. and i can not afford a long downtime and would really need to complete the project over a long weekend.

i'm leaning towards keeping the auto for this reason among others.. the 465/205 setup really prolly needs to be gone thru first of all. its all original and the 205 seems to have some play in the imput shaft (think its the 10 spline version?). so not only would i be looking at going thru the boxs, but i'd also need a clutch, hydro bellhousing and slave. plus i'm not certain that 77 pedal assembly will even fit in the 87.. i do have the driveshafts and crossmember out of the 77 tho..

so at this point it looks like i'm gonna stick it out with the 700 (maybe go BTO when it sh*ts the bed). my main question at this point is would i get a good upgrade by putting in the 205 over the 208? and whats involved? i would go thru the box beforehand. am i looking for a 700r/205 adapter? i'm also assuming that if need be, i could use the crossmember out of the 77 if i needed. would i also need to do different length shafts?

this is all coming to a head really cuz i want to decide the avenue to take because the column auto is driving me nuts and i'm ready to buy a floor shifter, kinda committing myself to the 700...

sorry for the length and wandering of the post.. any guidance would be very appreciated... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

I would stay with your 208 for the time being. The better low range will help alot considering you still have the 350. I wouldnt worry about using the 205 unless your going to be putting some HP and bigger tires on. I believe the 208 has a low range of 2.80, while the 205 is 2.00. Big difference. Your 208 will also help a little with mileage, as it is lighter and a little easier to turn that a 205.Just my opinion. By the way, the play on the input of the 205 is probably normal. The input and the rear output are actually 2 different shafts(one fits inside the other) even though they are inline and would appear to be single shaft. The front input bearing has about a half inch of play before it contacts the snap rings that hold it into place.

If you plan on gradually making this truck more off road friendly with tires, motor, and so on, it would be worth hanging on to the 205 for a later install. My .02 cents. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. ryoken

thanks man, sounds like good advice.

maybe i'll think about going 465/205 when i go 1 ton and 383 down the road.....

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you do not want a 77 pedal assembly, though they will bolt in
    you want an 85-87 hydro pedal to match a hydro bellhousing

5. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Where at the jersey shore are you located? Im going to be moving back to the mercer county area soon, and my buddies frequently wheel in the barrens.

6. ryoken

Toms River area.... the kid at work runs his Jeep down there often.. i've yet to go tho, trying to get my rig a little more capable...

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

slip yokes are the devil. ditch the 208 for something else. A sye'd 241, atlas, 205... pretty much anything but a slip-yoked 208.

j