Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by undr8ed, Mar 19, 2005.

1. undr8ed

undr8ed Registered Member

I've searched till my eyes burn...

I've got a 79 K5 with t350/203 and it's time to upgrade.
    I've got a buddy with a 700r that's been built to the nuts (by him at his tranny shop) that I can get for cheap with a matching 208... Other than the >2" length difference and (maybe) driveshafts, are there any other things I should be aware of?
    I'd really like to get an overdrive (and wouldn't be mad at the lower 1st gear :laugh:) but I don't want to get into any "oh sh!t" situations...

Or should I deal with high freeway rpm's and just go the t400 route??? :confused:

ALL help would be appreciated!!! Thanks

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm not sure on the overall length difference between a TH350/203 versus a 700R4/208 but you would need to address the lock-up converter issue but painless and such sells a kit for that so its not that big a deal. You would need to also get a new T-case shifter as well since it bolts to the floor just like a floor shifter for a car does. The rear output on a 208 is slip yoke instead of fixed yoke so you would need the correct rear driveline as well, and also the front driveshaft will be different. I think that all there is, i'm sure someone else will chime in if i've forgot anything. Obviously you would need to relocate the crossmember and i'm assuming that you would be getting the T-case adapter as well.

3. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Did the conversion in my 75 a couple years back. You will also need the crossmember which is still available at the dealership. It will save you alot of headache. The tranny mount is different too. Get the t-case shifter, linkage, and tranny hump out of a yard. Bowtie overdrives has a decent lockup kit. New driveshafts are a must. The rear driveshaft will be a slip yoke. Mine are tom woods that i got for a good price through ORD. A carb adapter will also be needed for adjusting the tranny. Even though the tranny might be cheap, it will cost ya for the full conversion. Make sure you get a bullet proof torque converter if you are running big tires or like to tow. Double lined kevlar is good. Good luck if you decide to do it.