Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hathaway, May 29, 2001.

1. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Ok I've got a 700R4 in there right now. On occasion it makes a tiny grinding noise when I shift into R or D. Now I'm not sure if I'm just hearing things or this is really happening BUT on the off chance that my tranny goes out this summer... A 700R4 is like 1100 to replace. So is there anything I can do to the tranny now to make sure it doesn't go out? New torque converter? anything like that? And if it DOES go out, would I be better off replacing it with a TH350/TH400 or should I spend the money and get another 700R4? Thanks in advance

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

have it serviced or service it yourself. new fluid, check the old at the same time for shavings or what not. new filter, again check the old. and nex gaskit. easy, if you got a place to catch all the fluid. bout 7 quarts. not sure never owned a 700r4. shouldnt be more than $30 in parts. might want to think about a deep pan when you get your new one and a fluid cooler. Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Check the fluid level. If its a little low, it'll run bad. Chang it if its old. 700R4 takes about 5 qts, just dropping the pan.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

4. Bowtied

Bowtied Registered Member

I would definatly hook it up with a filter swap. One extra thought, if it is about to go out on you or just as a preventitive, you could consider is a tranny additive when you're refilling what was lost during the filter change. I just did mine last weekend and all the guy's at autozone where going nuts over this stuff called TransX. I gave it a try, seems okay so far.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The "grinding sound"- are you sure it's coming from the tranny? Generally the first sign of 700r4 failure is a long, slippy shift into overdrive(at least in my experience), which is soon followed by total loss of overdrive.

The best way to make sure your 700r4 lasts is, like the others have mentioned above, to make sure that you follow a strcit maintenance program and make sure that she's always runninjg cool. Change your fluid and filter yearly and install a good quality auxilliary tranny cooler.

Whether you keep the 700r4 or swap in a 300/400 really depends on personal opinion. I rack up a lot of highway miles and wouldn't be without the OD- my mileage is bad enough to begin with, and I'd hate to see what it would drop to if I didn't have the "cruising" gear. If your rig sees mostly city streets and trails, then a TH350 might be a better choice. They're cheaper and easier to keep out of the shop...........

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</A>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>