Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny quit workin

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigjblazer, Dec 8, 2002.

1. bigjblazer

bigjblazer Registered Member

To start off, yesterday my battery fell off the tray and knocked the line that goes from the radiator to the transmission off. Most of the fluid shot out cause i was drivin at the time. It knocked this little brass fitting off the line and i couldnt get it back together cause there was no thread. I JB welded the line to the fitting and it worked for a day. Last night the fitting came off the line again and the fluid went everywhere. The transmission wouldnt get into gear, so i duct taped the line back together real good and put more tranny fluid in, luckily this happened less than a mile from my house. Then started her up again and put into drive and nothing happened. So the tranny just isnt workin. I did notice that i put way to much fluid in, like filled halfway up the dipstick, can i just drain some fluid out and it might start working, or is the tranny shot? Its a TH-350 and Im runnin 3.73 w/ 38's. So basically the tranny just wont go into gear. Thanks for any help out there, cause I know nothing about transmissions yet.

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

sounds to me like by not fixin the line immediately, to much got out and allowed those clutches to slip. the clutches are cork, and what happens when cork gets hot by friction?? it gets hard which allows it to not grab. so this means that you are prolly gonna hafta rebuild/replace your tranny. my TC went out on mine last saturday and i got my tranny swapped with my spare one in a week, so it isnt too bad. good luck

NITRO

3. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

my tranny's commin out on monday night, getting rebuilt tuesday, and going back in on tuesday. its like an hour to and hour and a half to put it in or take it out depending on the shop surroundings, and tools available.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif