Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny rebuild, DOH!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Big Red, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

ok, so i was racing this little honda civic pos and the old girls lungs gave out. I lost 3rd and OD (4th?) Now, i can get the rebuild kit for $108 from advanced auto with my discount (cus its good to work there, lol) How hard is it to rebuild one? I should be able to do it by just laying everything out in the order i pull it right? i have the 700r4 and i rebuilt one in school a while abck. i just managed to forget the important stuff. Q #3, the planetaries should be good otherewise i woulnd't have 1st, 2nd and Reverse right? Thanks a lot you guys!

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I tried to tear into a th350 several years ago,,,man, the tearin apart just keeps goin on in those things, got to some areas where i needed some special tool/s, i couldn't reach some things, so i gave up on it, i guess if you have a "full" line of tools you could probably do it. Too much of a PITA if you ask me though.

3. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

ok, in that case i know a guy thats willing to do it for $400. Thats with me pulling it and handing it over to him with the rebuild kit. would this be a batter way to do it? i'd know this is gonna sound bad, but i'd like to get this done on the cheap.

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

it can be done at home with no special tools. You just have to impervise. Get a good rebuild manual. If you read through it a few times and take your time it is not that bad

5. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

yeah, i think i'll pick up one from work. the only thing with those is they're not tranny specific. unless you guys know of where one for the 700r4 is.

6. 1979jimmy350

The haynes techbook on GM autotrannies is a great manual is shows step by step with pictures. Also a GM unit repar manual might be a good idea they are pretty cheap and cover a lot of overhaul info

7. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

thanks again guys, ok. last question>> all the hard parts should be ok right? i mean, i just took the truck around the block and its still drivable. but again, it misses 3rd nd od. now, that should mean only the soft parts (clutch packs, bands, etc) should be the only parts that are dead right? thanks so much guys!

8. 1979jimmy350

you can not be postive that all the hard parts will be ok. I had a tranny go out on me and i drove it to where i had it rebuilt and i had some hard parts that needed replacing. Inspect every thing very well. Check the sun shell for cracks, the input drum these are two of the main areas of failure in the 700's

9. dcubb

dcubb 1/2 ton status

Get a ATSG manual. they're around 20 bucks thru napa or a tranny parts supplier. Very specific info and also some upgrade info. Check out Makco on the net. Good source for anything auto tranny related. I've been buying from them for years now. For a 700, you're gonna need a couple of special tools to do the job right. Mainly a turbine shaft seal installer (absolutely a must with teflon seals) forward clutch and over-run clutch lip seal protector and a clutch pack spring compressor. All these tools can get pretty pricey. Hard to justify just for one rebuild.

10. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

i work at a tranny parts shop and all i do is tear them down and if you dont know what you are doing then i would not do it. 400 dollars is real cheap for a rebuild, I am going to help the builder i work with rebuild mine and its going to cost me about 375-400

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

THey sell video tapes too. The one I have for the BW- T5 is acutally a good video. Makes me sleepy though.

12. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Make sure you check the thickness of the 3-4 clutch steel plates. I believe in 93 and up 700R4, they used thicker plates which do not come in any kit I have seen. There was supposed to be a few thousandths clearance between two parts, and I had nearly 1/2 inch. Drove me crazy trying to find the right plates. When I rebuilt it, went to 3 dealers, and no one could give me a strait answer on the plates. Found an ACDelco dealer that had a trans spec book, which had a different part # for the 3-4 plates for the later model 700R4s. Had to buy em all seperately. Cost about $20. Good luck.

Oh yeah, I would definately use a clutch pack spring compressor for the rebuild. The last spring, the one nearest the bellhousing in the case, is nearly impossible to get the snap ring out without one. That was the only tool I really HAD to buy.

13. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

hows this for inspiration? when i was 15 i had my th350 go out on me. I got one of the haynes manuels( that covers the th400, th350, and 700r4) I tore it apart just as the book told me to and put it back together with the new stuff just as the book told me to and when i put it back in the truck it worked perfectly. I did replace EVERYTHING that was worn out, got a heavy duty torque converter, and stage 2 transgo shift kit and it ran me allmost $400. I rebuilt my FIRST auto tranny before i even got my lisence. and no i didnt help my dad do it or any thing like that all he helped with was takin it out, settin me up with a bench, and putin it back in. Only special tools was some C clamps and some improv. As a side note me and a buddy rebuilt his th400 in one day.

14. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

yeah, after getting the haynes manual (surprisingly in-edpth manual i might add) i decided to forget rebuilding it. i found a guy who pulled one out of a 90 GMC 3/4 ton. 500 bucks. i already pull my tranny and am about to put the used one in. then i get to install this new one after putting a new tranny filter and new fluid. ok, now for the stupidest question ever> i should run dex/mercon 3 right? i know, i know, really dumb question but i need to be sure. after that its install time and hope to god this thing is in good shape. it should be good as it only had 30K on it (or so he says) well, wish me luck. lol. i just can't wait to try and break the tranny free of the block.

15. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Yes, you should run dexronIII/mercon trans fluid.

16. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

well, major bummer of the day. guy figured out today he doesn't have a 700r4. hes got a 4l60e. the electronic version. no possible way i can use this without the computer right?

17. 1979jimmy350

yea the electronic version has to have a computer because it has no govenor or TV cable it relies on the computer to tell it engine load and throttle postion if you got this tranny out of a 1990 it should not be the electronic version because the 4l60-e did not come out until 93. A quick way to tell the difference is the adsence of a govenor cover and tv cable

18. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

Dam, well, anyone want a 87 for a cool grand? lol. im not gonna put the 1500 into it to get the tranny rebuilt the right way when im goin off UTI in august.

19. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Trans Rebuild Video

HEY.

Jekbrown is selling a 700r4 VHS from Technical Video for 25.00 that will walk you through it start to finish.

20. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

i dont have the money to do it properly though. i don't have money for the special tools needed and the rebuild. plus, i dont have the time anymore. i wish i could rebuild it and sell it running perfectly like the day i got it, but its just not possible. thanks anyways though.