Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny rebuild

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by adamforsythe, Apr 22, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I went with the B&M master racing overhaul kit. something like $130 and it comes with the clutches, steels, bands, gaskets, seals, and bushings.
    The only thing that isn't included with the kit is the 4 thrust washers for inside the transmission.. 2 of them being the ones in the very front and very rear of the tranny to adjust the input and output shaft endplay.
    You'll need a good dial indicator for that.
    I also went with the B&M stage 2 shift kit when i put mine together. Stage 2 is a bit harsh. it'll bark my 38's on the street going into second. I'd suggest going with a stage 1 unless you like to get whiplash from the shifts.
    One last thing, makes sure you get the front pump gasket lined up correctly. I put mine back together and must have gotten that gasket 180 degrees off so most all the holes lined up except for the Vent hole. So once i got my tranny back in, id drive it and it would build up pressure and puke out the dipstick. after my truck catching on fire from this, i finally pulled it apart and found out what was wrong. I've seen several other guys make this mistake when building a th350 as well. just something to be aware of.

3. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about putting a stage 2 kit in my truck to give me nice hard shifts. But I will look at stage 1 and see how it looks.
    Thanks
    Adam

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

another thing.
    i think its called the trankskit? not positive.
    it comes with the seperator plate and two drill bits the drill bits are for stage 1 or stage 2 depending on what you want.
    If you go with stage one and want more you can always drill it out bigger to the stage 2, but you can never go back to the stage one once you've drilled out the seperator plate too big. :crazy: