Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Removal Problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by atodd, Sep 4, 2003.

1. atodd

atodd Registered Member

Hey All...I was wondering if someone can suggest to me why I cant get my transmission off. I have a 1986 Blazer 4x4 with the 305. I need to take the tranny off because I have to replace my clutch.

Ive taken all 6 bolts off and the thing wont move. I've taken the transfer case off as well thinking that it might lighten the load on the back side of the tranny, but it still wont budge.

If anyone has any suggestions or tricks for me please let me know.

Thanks,

Aaron

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The input shaft has to clear the pressure plate and clutch disc so the tranny has to move back about 4-5". Support the weight safely and pull it back...

Make sure the linkage is disconnected, and it helps to remove the shifter from the topside. At the very least it'll be easier to muscle out from under the truck without a 12 foot long shifter sticking out of the top/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Lol that damn thing is pretty long isn't it. I got in a truck with no body lift the other day and I was like damn the shifter is high what's up with that. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I can't believe how tall they made those damn things...perfect for those of us with a 3" body on our trucks though.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It's probably a pretty short throw tranny...with a 10" shifter. The long shifter sure adds a lot of distance between gears though.

rene

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

On my K20, I was having a PITA time of getting the shift handle off. Couldn't seem to understand what Chilton's was trying to tell me. So I decided to heck with it. Problem was I couldn't move the tranny back far enough to disengage the clutch/pressure plate without the shift handle hitting the hump. After an hour of fighting it and trying to force everything, my girlfriend heard the three words out of my mouth that solved the problem...

"Get the sawzall."

By connecting teh cutout for the 465 with the cutout for the 208 shifter, it was amazing how much easier it was to get it to disengage!

Oh yeah, as soon as I had it out from under the truck, I was able to remove the shift handle pretty easy. You know, one of those "Oh, that's what they meant" kind of moments!

6. atodd

atodd Registered Member

I believe I have everything disconnected. I found 6 bolts connecting it to the engine and I took them all out. The shifter took us a while, but I called up a buddy of mine who works for Honda during the day, and comes home and works on his chevys at night...he came over and it took him about 2 minutes to get it out. I took the slave cylindar off too. Mainly because I was going to replace it anyway, but it got to be in the way so i took it off.

I dont know what the deal is. I was wondering if I would have a problem if it was in gear or not. I dont know if it is, but I dont know if it matters also.

If anyone else has any suggestions let me know.

Thanks again,

Aaron

7. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

try this- disconnect the bellhousing from the transmission and try that- the person could have used a silicone sealer on the contact between engine and bellhousing.

8. atodd

atodd Registered Member

That was it...I got the fiddleing with things and I disconnected the transmission from the bellhousing and it tranny slid right back.

Now I just have the bellhousing to deal with. I already have all the bolts out of that. If it has that silicone sealer on it is there a special way to take seperate it, or do I just pry it off as hard as I can?

Thanks,

Aaron

9. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

ok- on the drivers side, right below the slave cylinder, there will be a small indention about 3/4" long, that slants in toward the engine. get a chisel and light tap it in that spot to get under the seal then pry the rest off.

10. atodd

atodd Registered Member

I didnt see any indentation on my transmission, but I did end up getting it off. I had to heat up the guide pins and beet it with a hammer till it was loose. Then I was able to just pull the rest off by hand.

Thanks for all your help.

Aaron Todd