Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny seals replacement?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Sep 8, 2004.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I have a 700R4 tranny that has been sitting for a while and I was talking to another member and it was suggested that I replace the rear seal and the front pump seal before I put it in.

Anything special required? Pretty straight forward?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

There is no use replacing the front pump seal without replacing the bushing that is behind it. Problem is the bushing isn't easy to get out with the pump still installed.

There are 2 holes in the bolt pattern of the pump housing that are tapped 1 size larger. You can toss in a bolt in each of them and use them to try and pull it out (will take some work).

After you have the new bushing and seal in grind the head off some bolts and thread them into the trans housing to help guide the pump back on (with the tailshaft pointing down at least a bit). Make sure you get the gasket back on exactly how it was!

Rear seal is easy.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

At least change out the front main seal. That would be a pain to go back after you have intalled it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

so the front main seal and pump seal are two different seals??

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Do all of these just come right out of the front of the tranny without disassembling the whole thing /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Yes I think he is talking about the front pump seal.

Just the seal will come out without having to disassemble anything. If you are good you might be able to get the bushing out as well. The key is to try and find the split in the bushing and to hit it with a chisle there to try and rotate it enough to get a pair of pliers to pull it out. I wasn't able to do it (on my th350) because the shaft was in the way...but it can be done.