Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny, seat, and rollcage questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LittlePig, Jul 30, 2001.

1. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

First, does anyone know the spline count for the output of a TH400 that is mated to an NP208? I will be getting a military blazer, and want to convert to a 205. I need to know this so I can budget for a spud shaft or a new tailshaft for the tranny if necessary.

Second, who besides smittybilt makes cages for blazers? I want a 6-point cage that bolts down in the footwells, behind the seats, and at the rear wheelwells. Eventually I will add another hoop at the tailgate and tie it to the cage with bars coming from the top tubes (or should I go eight point from the beginning?). Any suggestions? Or, should I be looking at custom cages? Thanks

Email: littlepig@keepandbeararms.com

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Re: Tranny and rollcage questions

I have the Smittybilt 6 point cage and I am happy with it. The rear 4 point section is bolt-in, while you must have the front section welded in and cut to fit just right. As we speak, Metalhead is fabbing up a rear hoop over the tailgate and tying it to the center hoop with two tubes. He is also making some handgrips for my rear seat passengers - it should be sweet when he is done!

By the way, Littlepig, we sell those Smittybilts here...the only reason I haven't sold more of them to fellow K5ers is the damn shipping cost - it must go Truck Freight, and that adds up quick...

3. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Got another question to add: what seats are best for off-roading? Beard and Steelhorse seem to be aimed at jeeps, and flofit supposedly has a terrible reputation for shipping. I want seats that can handle 5-point harnesses.

4. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

go to summit and check out their seats. they advertise them in their ads for car mags, but for some reason dont in the 4wheel drive mags. they are pretty cheap (65 bucks for 1 seat and 1 cover) plus they sell harnesses to.

www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com

5. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

S&amp;W also makes roll cages for Blazers you could check them out pretty good prices too. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.swracecars.com/>http://www.swracecars.com/</a>

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I would strongly recomend Beard or Mastercraft for a super quality seat. One or the other is in nearly every off-road racing vehicle in the desert. They are both "suspension" seats...I would not get a $65 plastic seat for anything other than occasional use. Most of these guys have matching rear bench seats also.
    mastercraftseats.com

Here are two more suspension seat manufacturers:
    verdoneautoupholstrey.com Corbeau dealer

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>

7. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

ok, got some good ideas on seats, and I found the smittybilt cages that extend up to the dash. Now I need to find out about that transmission. There must be someone here with a diesel that knows what the spline count is.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Mastercraft is awesome. Got my first taste of them in an 8 truck. I'll eventually have one for the K5.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"<a target="_blank" href=http://www.handguncontrolinc.com>www.handguncontrolinc.com</a>

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I thought all TH400s had a 32 spline output. If I have time I'll check tomorrow, got a NP208 on the floor.

Dan W.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!