Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Service???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka454, Apr 8, 2002.

1. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

I need to service my tranny ASAP, I feel it slipping a little and it might be due to the fact that the last time I serviced it was about 2 years ago, about 20000 miles ago, but I need help do I just take the pan out and catch all the oil, replace the filter and the oil and that's it or is there something I should wath out for, also for the transfer case I have a 203 what kind of oil do I have to use there, is it tranny oil? pardon my stupidity but I'm not mechanically incline thanks for the help.

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Just have to watch out for all the tranny fluid that will drip, pour and run everywhere. Use a big catch pan and try to do it out of the wind. As for the 203, 10w40 motor oil.

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

look for burnt tranny fuild. It will have the smell of burnt toast if it is REALLY bad. Also carefully run your finger along the bottom of the pan, or visually, look/feel for metal shavings in the bottom of the pan.

Try a new filter and fluid. It can work wonders.

4. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

Cool thaks, I use a trash can cover to catch all my oils with holes in the middle and that's where I put the containers to store the oil, it works great I saw it in a magazine, thanks for the info, oh one more thing how do I drain the transfer case oil?

5. shoeless

shoeless Registered Member

Just to let you know, simply dropping the pan will get less than half of the tranny fluid out. There will still be alot in the tranny and the converter as well. The best thing to do would be to take it to a shop and have them do a tranny flush. It should run you about 75 dollars(at least around here) and it will replace all your tranny fluid, about 12 quarts. Dropping the pan will only get about 5 quarts out. Just thought I'd let you know.

6. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

Hey no shoe man that is true I never thought of that, I was gonna do the job myself and save the $100 they want to service the tranny I called my local shop and they want $100 to do the service and replace my transfer case oil so I guess it's not bad at all thanks for that input.

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Chances are for $100 total(including the transfer case fluid swap)your local shop is only going to the standard tranny service, which means they'll only drop the pan and replace the pan fluid and filter.

Make sure that the price they quote includes the full flush........

8. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

That's another good point thanks guys, I'll make sure what $100 will get me, thanks.

9. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

What is even better on the tranny fluid catch (besides the trash van lid) Is to go get a cheapo kiddie pool from wal-mart or the like ;-) FYI

10. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

and you need to flush your lines out. that is A BAD area for gunk. the trans shop will do that to. you can do it, but it is kinda risky. involve taking your line that pumps to the radiator off and filling from the top as you run it. it is a 2 or 3 person job in some cases. i dont recomend it. but i have HAD to do it.
    grant

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If yur going to change the tranny fluid and dont want the big mess when you drop the pan. Get a cheap hand operated fluid pump. Almost all auto parts stores have these for around 12 bucks. They come with long hoses that will reach down the dip stick tube to the bottom of the pan. You can usually pump out almost 4 quarts. This makes dropping the pan a lot cleaner and easier with only about 1 quart left in it.

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You have a th350 right?...don't you have a drain plug?

13. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

Drain plug? to tell you the truth I have checked but I did not see one, I dont think I do.