Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Shaft & Tough Hide

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Roostr84, Dec 11, 2000.

1. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about buying the tough hide panels for my 69 as well as the shaft to put in my 700r4. Is there any pics available of the toughhide and are their any special recommendations on the tranny shaft. Thanks in advance.

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We don't have any pics of the panels since the petersen's article on them. I do know where the original K5 is and could probably get some digital shots. I'll put that on my list to do next time I'm in the right town.
    There's nothing real special about the tranny shaft for the TH700. It just has the splines in the right place to make it look like a TH350 tranny. You just install it like the original.

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Concerning the tough-hides, is there anything like that available for the 73-91 K5's? I remember the original article with the 1st gen Blazer and I thought it mentioned there was a version available for the other years?

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We dont have anything for the later trucks due to the compound curves around the fender openings. At the time of the article, we were working with a company on some ABS plastic panels that just didn't work out very well, so we bailed on them.
    One thing that worked really well for me was to use some undercoating on the lower part of the body. It's not much for keeping it off the rocks, but it does prevent chips and makes body work really easy since it'll cover about anything you do and make it look good. You could also use any of the DIY poly bed liner material or even some of the aftermarket spray in/on liner material. If ytou plan to modify it in the future, you may want to keep the coating thin since removing thick poly to weld on something is a major pain.

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD