Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Shifting Weirdly

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by woodpecker, Feb 26, 2001.

1. woodpecker

woodpecker Registered Member

Okay, so I got the EGR problem solved, but now the crazy beast is sticking in first gear. ('86, 305, th700r4)

It's not a constant thing, and it happens when the truck is cold AND warmed up: I'll take off from a stop, and the tranny will stay in first much longer than usual. The truck will start to rev pretty good and then it'll shift hard into second. Up until now, I've never had a lick of trouble from the tranny (110K miles). It's always shifted incredibly smoothly. Any ideas as to what's causing the hang up? When it's acting up, it'll hang in first when I'm driving in "D" and "OD."

Thanks,
    woodpecker

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

That's exactly what first started happening to each and every one of the SEVEN 700r4s I blew up.

ken

3. woodpecker

woodpecker Registered Member

So did you finally switch to a different type of tranny or was number eight a charm?

What happened after the first gear hang up? Did it get worse? Did it happen to all of the gears?

4. Danswift79

Danswift79 Registered Member

check and see if you have a kink in the vacuum line. I had this problem and my line was kinked just before it met the tranny. I just cut out the extra length and stuck it back on. Worked fine after that. A good way tyo confirm that this is the problem is to start in low and work your way through the gears by hand. If for instance, after you come to a stop in drive and it won't shift out after accelerating, shift it into nuetral, let off the gas, and then back into drive. If it shifts then, then it is probably the vacuum. Just my .02 cents and they may not apply to your vehicle, but this fixed my similar problem right away.

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

What is the level of the fluid and what color is it? If it's low...that could be it. If its brown, then your tranny is just about gone. A good thing to do is to put a tranny cooler on it. It is a good preventative (just a little FYI). Also, check the kick down and make sure it's not stuck

[​IMG] Keep your feet dry [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Hey Dan, 700 trannys don't use vacuum like 350 and 400 trannys.

I finally got tired of the weak-as*ed 700r4 and put in a TH400 trans. Had to change the input gear in my transfer case and get the 400-241 adapter plate, but it was pretty much a bolt in after that. No driveshaft mods!!

ken

7. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Also, check the kick down and make sure it's not stuck

<hr></blockquote>

Yep, check that TV cable out and make sure its not that.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]