Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny slippin

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pissant469, Feb 4, 2003.

1. pissant469

pissant469 1/2 ton status

my tranny is slippin right now i do not have the time or rebuild it i have heard several people dump some brake fluid in it ride then drain and refill with atf the next day

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have never heard of anyone doing that. Plus Im pretty sure GM never intended brake fluid in an auto tranny. To me, it doesnt sound like a good idea, just a waste of brake fluid. Also I dont know what brake fluid would have in it to help a slipping tranny. I would think that it would eat the clutches even faster.

John

3. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I have heard of this. Never heard of draining it and refilling w/ atf. Seems I heard you just add SOME to the existing atf and run it. I've heard this should be a last resort effort. Obviously this is only what I've heard. Good luck.

4. pissant469

pissant469 1/2 ton status

i have heard causes the seals swell. i heard of one goin out 25 miles after doing this and some going 25000

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It makes sense.

Brake fluid (DOT3 anyway) is silicon(e?) which swells/softens rubber. I did this with clear silicone spray in a hydraulic jack that leaked hydraulic fluid like a sieve. Sprayed the silicone in there (I needed it to work for about 2 minutes, needed SOMETHING to make pressure) and it didn't seem to do anything.

2 weeks later I mentioned to my dad when he was going to fix the jack, and he said, why would I, it works fine. That was about 2 years ago, and it STILL works.

There is stuff on the market now that is supposed to "fix" transmissions by pouring it in, and after the hydraulic jack problem, I have no doubt that in SOME cases, the additive will fix the problem.

Tranny seals get hard and formed to a certain size, as long as they aren't torn, and seal leakage is WHY the tranny is slipping, I bet the silicone would help. In the long run, a $5 bottle of additive to try and fix the problem is nothing. Either you still have to have the tranny rebuilt at 100's of dollars, or you get lucky, and the $5 bottle of additive "fixes" the problem for awhile longer.

If the tranny is already broken, how are you going to make it worse? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In your case, I'd forget the DOT3 trick though, and go with something that *hopefully* had a few dollars of research invested to figure out the right formulation, as opposed to brake fluid which is designed for one purpose, which is not in contact with ATF.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I second that.
    I have used those tranny additives before and 8 out of ten worked, the other 2 were beyond help.
    Use the tranny additives not Brake fluid, it costs the same.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. jtpepper

jtpepper Registered Member

Go to O'Reilly's and get Lucas Auto tranny additive.My 700r4 was slipping from 1st to 2nd under hard acceleration,added this stuff and after 350 miles I can now get a second gear scratch.I'm dead serious,it really worked.Worked for me anyway.GOD Bless,jtpepper