Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny slipping - or not?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BPS, Jun 2, 2001.

1. BPS

BPS Registered Member

The tranny in my '91 Blazer is acting a bit strange.
    Lately the shifting between gears has become slower - no more nice crisp gear changes. It acts as though the tranny fluid level is low but it looks fine and smells normal. the problem is worse if the truck is under load or going up a steep hill. Then the shifting between gears really slows down!

Is this a sign that my tranny is on the way out or could it be something else?

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

may want to try doing a fluid and filter change. i enterec a mud bog in germany one time in my jimmy, and on the way home it would not shift into o/d and was acting all messed up. went and got a new filter and tranny fluid, fixed it right up.

just mu .02, but clogged filters do cause problems like what you have.

AIRBORNE!!

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Yeah, try the fluid change first. If that doesn't work you can get you some Prolong Tranny treatment. That will buy you some time to save money for a rebuild.

Steve Fox for President, 2004.
    Jimi Hendrix was re-incarnated in 1990 as my....JIMI

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, change the fluid. If that doesn't help, start saving.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

5. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

You could also experience slipping if the Tranny has too much fluid. Just a thought. Have you checked your Transfer Case fluid? I guess the T-case might not have anything to do with shifting but anyways. Does the transmission feed the transfer case fluid on blazers? My '95 truck doesn't. That was almost an expensive mistake.

Chad