Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Slipping

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ggallin13, Jun 2, 2000.

1. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I have a 700-R4, and when I am starting out and the tranny is cold it seems "loose" or something. It is similar to how a manual behaves when the clutch is slipping. Once I get on the road, it seems fine, and once warm also seems fine. I first noticed it in reverse, but now it happens in drive as well. I am planning on a rebuild anyway, but is this a sign of impending death? Would it be better to just buy a new one instead of rebuilding? I'd love to go with a TH350, but that requires adapters and things, right?

TIA,
    David

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Whats TIA trans missing in action

3. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

It's "Thanks In Advance", but I hope my tranny isn't missing in action soon. I need to make it until August...

4. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

The man for your 700R is Steve at www.700R.com.

Good luck,

rezalB

Built for a purpose.

5. 83K5

83K5 Registered Member

Mine did the same thing once . With mine I noticed a small leak at converter cover . I thought oh just a seal .Took it to a transmission shop to have it checked out . Guess what , I needed a new converter and pump . They figured the sleeve in the pump spun on the converter which wrecked the pump housing and also screwed the converter end . Good luck

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Yes, it is better to buy a new one than to rebuild>
    But good luck getting a new one, because I think they stoped making new ones.
    Good luck

7. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

To the contrary, it is better to get the tranny rebuilt, especially by a professional shop, because there are numerous changes made to beef up the performance. If you will look at some of the earlier posts concerning the 700R4 you will find plenty of places to call. That and ask BigBurb about the person he called...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Whatever you decide to do, be sure to thoroughly flush the cooler and lines with ATF to clean out any "disintegrating tranny" crud.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

9. It was Steve Holmes from BowTie Overdrives out of CA. He has been building nothing but Automatic Overdrives for the past 5 years, with the 700R4 being the one he has the most experience with. The prices were the best I could find for what you get. Try http://www.700R4.com This is the site. Jet and TCI are alot more money for less !!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!