Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Slipping

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Jul 26, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Today my tranny slipped a few times when I put it in reverse. I read this is a sign of them going out but it got rebuilt at 91K and it has 130K on it now. That doesn't seem like very long for it to need one already. i drove it a few times and it didn't slip. Do they start by doing this every few times? Thanks in advance

90K5

2. MyK-5

MyK-5 Registered Member

Who did you have rebuild it? If it was some place like Lee Miles or some chain they are usly crap.

81 Beater

3. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

What does the fluid look like? When was the last time it was changed? If it looks ok I would'nt worry. You could also take it to a trans shop and have them road test it.

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I didn't own it when it got rebuilt, but it was at a place called A-1 Transmissions in Fort Worth. I changed the fluid at 129K so it should be fine. Its still cherry red and the level is ok.

90K5

5. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Do you have an auxillary cooler for that tranny. Heat is its worst enemy. I'm assuming you have a th700 tranny, which is highly susceptable to heat. If you dont have another cooler in addition to the radiator, then that could cause its short life span between rebuilds

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I have been planning on putting a cooler in but I haven't had time. Did it come with one from the factory that I could disconnect the lines to and hook up a bigger one? I am going to get the biggest cooler I can find.

90K5

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

In another post someone mentioned Prolong Tranny additive. Does it really work or does it just delay the inevitable (sp)

90K5

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Regarding the heat thing- you should only drive in D at normal city speeds and save OD for the highway. Using overdrive in stop and go traffic is really bad for your tranny.......

9. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    The tranny cooler is your BEST defense against heat! put the biggest one on that will fit, and do it ASAP, the whole job will take less then 2 hours to do. The only way your truck may have had one, is if it was part of a trailering package when it was new. And I can not think of any reason someone may have disconnected it.
    Prolong is just "snake oil" it will not fix, or make your tranny run cooler.
    Autozone sells a good one, complete with everything you will need and instructions, probably around $60 tops