Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TRANNY STRUT BARS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jackedjimmy, Aug 15, 2002.

1. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

Hi!...it's been awhile since I posted.

Anyway, I have a little dilema on my hands. I got a new (rebult) th350 trans that has a 2-wheel drive case with a 4x4 output shaft on it. Now I know that the cases are supposed to be the exact same but I cant bolt my inspection cover from a 4x4 original trand to the new case. The bottom of the bellhousing must be different and I don't have the original to compare it to.

The cover has a place to mount two srtuts that go up to the engine and mount behind the engine mounts like alot of you know, but this no longer works. I kinda' want to have these struts because i've got a high torque motor and am wondering if i should just skip them or tap new holes into the tranny and coverplate to bolt it on.

I had the same problem when puting a new trans in my 89' P/U. I just left them off and got a 2wheel drive cover.

Did any of the 2wd 3/4 or 1 ton pickups/ blazers/ whatever have these struts? maybe for a big block to a th350?

Sorry about the length.
    Any and all help is apreciated.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Friend has an '83(?) 1 ton, 350/TH400, and it does not have the braces. If anything would, you'd think it would be that.

Not sure if its been speculated before or not, but they are probably used to offset the weight of the transfer case hanging off the other end. Besides, thats even more weight that is trying to twist with the engine.

3. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

The brace was not put on there for torque as much as to keep from breaking off the tail of the transmission when someone hooked the transfer case on a rock. At least if I understand which brace you mean. Sorry, I went back and reread your posted. I thought you ment the long brace.

4. jackedjimmy

5. jackedjimmy

ttt again... Need Help...Strust or no struts?
    Any other ideas?

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i would say you dont NEED them, but if ya can find them GET THEM!!
    it is just that mch more strength
    grant

7. jackedjimmy

It's not a matter of getting them, I already have them. The problem is using the stock inspection cover from a 4x4 case and bloting it to the new 2wd case. The holeddo't line up worth a sh!t. I really don't want to tap into my tranny because it will probably void my warranty so i'm kinda looking for someone that has had this problem in the past. I'm sure someone has because this is the 2nd time it has happened to me.

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Does your current trans case have the 3 bosses on each side for the thick tc cover? Some cases have the provision for the holes for the thick cover but are not drilled. If yours has the bosses I'd drill it and either tap it or use nuts and bolts. As for the warranty, contact the builder and explain the differences in the case you gave him and the case you got back, they would probably rather give you the ok to drill it than give you another trans.

BTW - if you current case does not have the bosses, do try to drill for them as there is not enough material to successfully do this.

Do you have to have them? Like previously said, they're great for extra insurance but not mandatory. GM built trucks for many years without them so you'll survive if you can't put them on. Don't forget you can still install the bar from the t-case to the bellhousing for additional support.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can't help you on how to put them there, but if I've been a good boy and been paying attention, first off, "K" cases are thicker, car ones are thinner.

If GM didn't bother using the braces on some setups, I'm betting the thicker K case was the reason. And since you not only have a thinner case, but also no rods, I'd say you *might* have problems. It seems pretty rare that bellhousings or adapters crack, but you can bet that if GM put them on there, it wasn't so they could spend more money producing the vehicle.

10. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

It is possible to have a "K" style case without the actual holes (but with the bosses where the holes go) that originally had a thin car type tc cover. These were used a lot in the late 80's 2WD applications.

I asked if you had one of these style cases because you mentioned that you didn't want to "tap into my tranny". If you do have the 3 bosses on each side you can successfully drill it. If it is a thin car case with only a small thin lip on the bellhousing don't bother trying to drill it, there's not enough material there to work with.

11. jackedjimmy

My case looks to be the thinner version of the two, but there might be enough there to drill some holes.

Thanks for the replies