Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny stubborn when cold

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87BrnRsd, Feb 4, 2004.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Two weeks ago i had my th350 rebuilt with a B&M overhaul and shift kit. The problem i am having is when it is cold (right at startup) i can pull the transmission down into drive but it will not catch for sometimes 5 or 6 seconds. I was wondering what the possible causes of this could be. I originally thought that the rebuild would help this problem considering it was doing this before removal and i figured it was due to weak seals. This transmission is in a 79 k5 with a 203 if that helps at all.

Thanks
    -Elliott

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

did you do it out did you take it to someone. there might be a valve inside that is stuck or maybe not getting enough pressure to enguage. my first guess would be weak seals. they posbily could have gotten dammaged when installed. i really need some more info on whats been checked and whats been replaced /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

The kit was a racing master overhaul kit. It was rebuilt by a Gm certified mechanic who is the transmission man at my local chevrolet dealership. this problem only occurs when cold, as soon as it is driven for about a minute or so then it shifts hard enough to knock your socks off even when pulled down in gear. Everything should be new including all trick shift fluid. The only thing that was not replaced was the torque converter. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    -Elliott

4. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Sounds likt the check valve in your pump is stuck.