Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny swap question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Paxx, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Will a nv4500 bolt directly up in place of a sm465?
    Not actually doing this swap but I'm still figuring out what parts I'm putting into the project. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i think that the bellhousing is different but other that that. you will need to redrill the frame for the crossmember, and if you don't want the 241 tc, you will need an adapter and tailshaft from advanced adapters.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No, shift lever comes out the body in a different location for one, although thats "cosmetic". As was stated, it's extra length pushes everything else further back.

You are getting (essentially) the same gear ratios 465/4500, except the OD, so ask yourself how much gas OD is gonna save you, and how much the 4500 swap will cost. Of course, if you wanna run 4.10's with 29" tall tires OD will be nice, but 3.42's and 33's are plenty manageable with the 465. (for example)

4. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

hmm thnx for the replies, I would have liked to have the OD but not if it would cost me an arm and leg to do it.