Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny swap questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big75jimmy, Mar 12, 2003.

1. big75jimmy

big75jimmy Registered Member

I have a 85 K-10 with 700r4 and Np 208 that will be swapped out for a turbo400 and Np203 and wanted to know if it will be a direct bolt up or not. I will also be using the driveshafts from the truck that th400/np203 came from. Thanks, Aaron

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I don't really know the answer to your question, but if you checked it out on the search feature you can find a arse-load of info.

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I think if you are using the whole unit w/ drivelines then it should all just bolt in. You may also have to redrill the holes in the frame for the x-member.

4. 86chevk5

86chevk5 Registered Member

i know that the 700r4 is a very long transmission so when i helped my buddy put in a th350 tranny we had to get a spacer kit and a few adapters but its all pretty cheap stuff and it comes in a kit so dont worry about that just go to a tranny shop and they will tell you everything you are gonna need because they should know im gonna be doing the same on my truck so ive been looking into it as well. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

good luck man

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Assuming the drive shafts come out of a similar length truck you wont have any problems. You will have to redrill the holes for the crossmember ( no big deal) and you need to make sure you use the kickdown cable from the 400. You might run into some problems with the shifter linkage on the 400, but that is easily correctable. Oh and you are going to have to change your speedo cable if you wanna know your speed. Also your dipstick holder from the 700 will not fit the 400. I think I covered it all. It's really simple once you get past the nickle and dime parts and holes drilled for the crossmember. Need any further assistance just ask.

Michael

6. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

As far as needing adaptors, you won't need any. While you're down there check your flexplate for cracks.

7. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't have to worry bout the a kickdown, 400s don't have one. They kick down by electric, there is a switch on the firewall by the gas pedal, mash it and it sends 12 volts to the tranny and kicks down. The shafts should be the same, but there are enough of these trucks kicking around that it would be easy to get one that's bolt in. The linkage would be the same will work too.