Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny swap, sm465 to 700R4

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Project, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Project

Project Registered Member

hey folks,
    i'm plannig to swap my sm465+np205 to 700r4+np208.i dont have any problem with fabricating but i need to know how long my drive shaft is gonna be< do i have to change it or it'll be the same thing? is the automatic tranny and Tcase longer than manual one?can i use the floor shifter for it?.......
    thanks,
    chris

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

if you were closer id trade my 700/208 for your setup anyday!

3. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

the 700 is several inches longer than the sm465. I dont know how different the transfer cases are, but if you were going from sm465 to 700 and using the same transfer case, you'd be moving the case back at least 3-4" possibly more. I cant give you exact numbers but that should be all you need to know (that it WILL be moving)

mike

4. Project

holy cow dude, i'm going to rochester, NY at sep.1st ,you wanna trade?

5. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I just swapped out a 465/208 for a th400/208.

The adapter was shorter for the 400 which compensated for the different tranny lengths. No driveline mods needed. Looks like GM wanted the rear output to be in the same spot for both setups. Mine was an 87 465 and an 86 th400.

Good luck

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

poor 465... sniff* why does everyone watn auto junk in their rigs ?

if it was 2wd73-up 465 d then id be very interested.. but cant right now anyways.i needpedals and rods and z bar stuff and crossmember and mounts and bell and whel and clutch and all from a 73-up 2wd with sbc(z bar)

good luck

7. Project

well, the only reason that i wanna do this swap is i have a toyota ruck with 350 chevy with sm465 and 205, running 36" swampers with 4'88 gears. first of all i can even use the first gear(4500 rpm @ 2mlp), second i have to get 25 bucks gas every day which i cant afford it no more,third my damn shifter is almost under the dash(it get stock there when i shift to third gear),blah blah.....
    i guess auto tranny would be the best for my set, tell me what you guys think.

8. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

I am running a 700R4 behind a 383 in my Jeep. Works great. The 700 R-4 is a few inches longer ( I think 4" ) than the other GM autos and most likely the 456 too so you will need a shorter rear driveshaft. Also you will have to deal with the lockup converter. I just run a 22oo RPM stahl rather than a lockup converter. Works great and the r4 has the lowest 1st gear of all of the autos too.

9. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    poor 465... sniff* why does everyone watn auto junk in their rigs ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Simple - One hand one foot vs. two hands two feet. How am I supposed to smack my kids /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, while drinking a beverage, scratch my foot, all while having to make a quick stop? I will never, as long as I live, own a manual transmission. Unless its a 69 Z28, thats a whole nother story.

Don't feel bad for the 465. It has a better home now /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. AzBlazor adopted it and is going to give it a home in a rig that will be wheeled. With me, it would have lived out its days as a daily driver /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif