Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Jun 2, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

I have an 87 k5 with a 700r4 tranny and i was wondering if i could get it out without removing the engine, and put a new one back in. i dont have a cherry picker right now and i need to swap the tranny.

2. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

um,..YES...
    you just want to remove the tranny right?.....remove the drivesahfts, remove the transfer case..put a tranny jack, or floor jack with block of wood, under tranny, remove crossmember, unbolt tranny from motor.(belhousing) unbolt tourq convertor from flexpalte..slide tranny towards rear and down...ta da!! :D ..oh also remove speedo cable and any other cables, wires..dipstick..etc before moving tranny...removing them is easy..rebuilding them..well thats were i let someone else take over..lol...good luck

3. PsychoticDeadGuy

well, i can get a brand new 700r4 for about $300. i have a bike jack, i think that would work better than a regular floor jack. but i can get to all the bolts pretty easily though, right?

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You must have strange definition of "brand new"

5. PsychoticDeadGuy

ummm, rebuilt... gosh... it has all new seals and stuff and even new gears too. my dad owns an auto company out here in cali.

6. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

yeah it should be easy to get the bolts..i highly reccomend a long extension with a "wobbly" or "u-joint" on the end, to get the bolts at the top..if you use a floor jack, just use a block of wood under the tranny pan..it dents easliy..eaither jack you use , you might want to wrap a strap around it, to make sure the tranny doesn't fall off the jack..it shouldn't if your slow and carefull..and allthough i DO NOT reccomend this..i have a couple times..not even use a jack and (bench pressed) the tranny by hand on to my stomach..but like i said I DO NOT reccomend this..they are heavy, especially when full of fuild, and even tho i haven't, i have had some friends get pinned or stuck under the tranny..

7. PsychoticDeadGuy

haha, that sucks. well, i guess i gotta talk to my dad today to order the tranny,is there anything special i have to worry about when i order it? thanks for the help. that will be one thing off the checklist for my way to hollister.

8. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

no can't think of anything special, if possible i would put in a shift kit, not many peopel know this, but a shift kit is actually better for the tranny, less slippage on the internals...or so thats what a guy i know who owns a tranny shop told me...pesonally i run manual trannys, so don't know first hand..

9. PsychoticDeadGuy

ya, i was thinkin a b&m kit but not sure if i should go with the street or the strip one...anyone have experience with these?

10. louied

louied Registered Member

just did one , replaced with a TCI truck trans 700r4..

Piece of Cake...... i bought the small trans jack from habour frieght $69 bucks.

Worked great , fot the transfer case and the trans. Have fun ,. it looks like u have enought room with the lift to craw right under there and snatch it out!