Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Prime, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Prime

Prime Registered Member

hey guys, i have a 84 chevy 4x4 diesel 6.2 with a 700r4 thats not working, I have tried everything. i found another 700r4 but out of a gas 86 chevy suburban, is it possible to use the output shafts and torque converter out of my desiel tranny for this other one, and will this gas tranny bolt up to the motor the same. I know the torque converter is heavier duty in the desiel tranny and need to know if it will work with this other one.

Thanks guys.

2. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

yes its the same, just need a new t/c and also change the spring or something in the governor, which is super easy and cheap, do a search or someone else will post with more details

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Don't re-use the torque converter from the dead tranny. It's most likely full of bits-o-tranny and will just ruin your new one. :(

You can pull the governor out of the dea trans and clean it well with brake cleaner and then install it into the new trans.

The output shafts can be swapped by a good tranny guy in about 30 minutes.