Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Randy92782, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

I am in the proces of converting my 85 K5 from an auto. to a 4-speed manual. i've already went through all the trouble of changing pedals and all that but i've ran into a problem. i have it all hooked up and have a real bad grinding noise.
    thought maybe it was the starter stayin engaged or something. nope. changed it. thought maybe it was the Throwout bearing. but that wasn't it either. (the noise is ungodly loud) i've really ran out of things to check and was wonderin if anyone had any suggestions. maybe the pilot bearing? never heard one bad before. also heard maybe i put the clutch pack in backwards but i'm pretty sure i didn't. guess that's possible. thanks :confused: ...really aggravating

2. 1986chevy_rider

1986chevy_rider Registered Member

it could be....

Maybe its not all alligned correct some trannys to certain bell housings will make it out of straight. just my two cents.

3. slyguy_22

slyguy_22 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You should be a lil more specific. the tranny a junk yard tranny? Does it grind while in just driving or all the time , what about when ur in neutrel? Double check your front drive shaft? There are a ton of things that could cause grinding. So try and narrow it down for us.

4. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

sorry bout that. alright, the motor, tranny and transfer all came out of the same truck. never did anything but take them apart put them back the way they came out. it's more of a project i'm puttin together so i haven't even put it on the road yet. just took the old motor out of the blazer and inserted the donor stuff from the other truck. the old truck motor, tranny, transfer all worked perfectly in the old truck. actually drove it around while fixin another rig. kinda don't wanna pull the tranny and transfer again. it was a pain to do by myself in the first place. btw there is no front or rear driveshaft yet. gettin em lengthened. the tranny is in neutral already too. thanks guys and hope this helps.

5. slyguy_22

slyguy_22 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

So what ur sayin is that when u start up the truck with no drive lines hooked up it grinds? In neutral or just in gear?

6. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

yes exactly. it runs but has a horrible grinding high pitched noise. don't wanna run it long cause i don't wanna mess up anything else. it does it in neutral. never thought to try it in gear. almost sounds like the flywheel is rubbin on something. the clutch rod was lenghtened on the donor truck cause it had a 3" body lift. so i just jacked up the sides and hooked up the rod. actually did that today. pushed the clutch in and still does it. really aggravatin me more now. i've thought of everything i can possibly think of that would keep me from havin to pull the tranny by myself.