Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by madups311, Nov 21, 2001.

1. madups311

madups311 Registered Member

Help I have just blown my tranny, and I figure now is the best time to swap it to a manual....are there any FAQ's writeups or help I canb get on doing this I would like to do this immediately.
    and any help would be great!

1979 Jimmy 4" skyjacker, add-a-leaf, 35" M/T's, Body Lift purchased.
    2001 Pathfinder LE Mile Marker Winch

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Wel the tranny is bolt in. Peddles are a bolt in. Where the problem exist are the linkages. and a mounting bracket for the bell crank you will need a part that is on the frame of trucks that came with manual. The holes will already be in the frame but the tab is not there. Now what sometimes happens on our truck is there is so much frame flex that the cluch linkages can bind. The hot ticket would be to use a late model bell housing and go to a hydrolic clutch.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Why do you want a manual? What is your application? Do you take it offroad all the time, or is this truck your daily driver? You probably have a TH350 in the truck now. For ~$300 you could have it rebuilt and drop it right back in place.

If you change to a manual, you are looking at drive shafts too (~$200 each), possibly a new crossmember, not to mention the possibility of needed a new transfer case.

After you go through installing the manual, you are looking at ~$1000 ($250 trans SM465, $250 NP205, $400 driveshafts, and $100 for misc fluids, filters, and bolts.

Do you really want a stick?

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm>http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm</a>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s

4. 2cocky

2cocky Registered Member

Go to the junk yard and get real buddy, buddy with the guy running it. Then work out a deal for a blazer or a short bed pickup with the trany and t-case you want then just rob every thing you need and part out whats left. You might even get enuf from the parts to pay for your swap(depends on how cheap you get the donnor truck). Just my .02
    Scott

OOOPS....I THINK I JUST RAN OVER YOUR JEEP THING!!!!!

5. madups311

madups311 Registered Member

I would prefer a manual, I like the control it gives the user..torque and power...this is my daily driver...but I did not buy it to go grocery getting or soccer mom jauntin' It will be used often as well as off-roading ready and it will not be a show room vehicle it will be used for its intents and purposes
    I found a masnual tranny and transfer case for 100$ and 40 miles I think this swap will be the ticket...go on play devils advocate I'd like to here all possible thoughts before I go all the way
    Thanks
    Clint Harper

1979 Jimmy 4" skyjacker, add-a-leaf, 35" M/T's, Body Lift purchased.
    2001 Pathfinder LE Mile Marker Winch

6. 81Bogger

81Bogger Registered Member

Hey- this is something I am considering for my 2nd blazer...
    is madups311 still around??
    -Has anyone else ever done or have any info on a automatic to manual conversion??
    Thanks!

<font color=red>81</font color=red><font color=blue>Bogger<font color=blue>
    "<font color=blue>Mud under tire, and Fords in the rear view...<font color=blue>" [​IMG]