Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Sep 10, 2002.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok, I've got the speedometer problem fixed now in my tranny swap. For those that don't know, I'm swapping a 465/205 combo in favor of my 700/241. YADDI, YADDI, YADDI, same ol' you know what crap. My next question is, what will the computer think of me not having a torque convertor to lock up? Will it go into F.U.B.A.R'd mode or will it not make a difference? Also, for those who have done the swap, what did you do with the wires that ran to the auto tranny? ALSO, I know this is getting old, but what about the wires that are coming out of the 465? What exactly do they go to and do I need to hook them up?

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The computer does not get feedback from the transmission on lockup - so it will not care. If it were my swap I would maintain a VSS signal to the computer as it affects several programs. Make sure the wires from the trany are insulated from grounding or shorting. The wires from the 465 - what year is it? Backup light switch would be my first guess.

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

the 465 came from a 78 or 79 pickup. back-up lights is what i'm thinking it is too, so i guess i would just put a toggle switch in the dash and just not use the wires off the tranny. i'm retaining the VSS from my old t-case. i got Donovan to do all the machine work on that so it will work in the 205. so just bunch up the old wire to the auto and hang it on the firewall. sounds easy enough. think a computer chip from a manual truck would make a difference on anything?