Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by eshorvath, Feb 20, 2004.

1. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about swapping my manual tranny for an autmatic...any suggestions on what do use??? Any comments, good or bad????
    Eddie

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

If it's a daily driver with only mild mods, I'de go 700R4. If it's a off roaded, I'de go th350 or th400. What transfer case is in there now? Depending on what you have vs what you want, You may need new driveshafts also.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

If he goes with the th700r4 then he gets the best of both worlds, the 700 has the lower first gear which is good while in low range whith the T-case, and then when done wheelin he has the overdrive for daily driving comfort and fuel economy, just make sure the 700 is rebuilt with the newer stronger components and you install a cooler on it, it will last a long time if taken care of. I just this past week replaced my original 700r4 which had 210k miles on it. They are not bad trannys if they are built right.

Just my opinion,,, /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The TH400 auto uses the same input spline (32) on the t-case as the SM465 manual. So there's one less thing you need to need to get. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. bablazer73

Normally, I would agree with you. I like the 700R4 for those features. But I shy away from them just because of HOW MANY have gone south!! Sometimes finding somebody who can rebuild a 700 and do the mods at a reasonable cost is tough. Which makes the th350 a little more desirable. Since it's 1/2 the cost to rebuild!!

I am going to look/buy another blazer....With a blown 700R4!!

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I believe you think that way "how many have gone south" is because if you really look at the number of vehicle that have this trans, you would understand that with high numbers, you are going to have higher failure rates, and as far as i'm concerned, "most" people don't take very good care of their trans, replacing fluid and filters regularly, installing a cooler, things of the sort. As i stated in the previous post, if it's built right and well taken care of, it will last a very long time. Again, 210k miles on my original transmission in the Burb, and it was only the 3-4 clutches that went out, nothing major like gears or anything. Just another opinion,,, /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

BTW, i'm not trying to start a riot, /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif just throwin out my opinions like these posts are for, ultimately the original person who posted this thread will decide on his own from reading our info, ain't it cool /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. bablazer73

WHY YOU S.O.B.!!! I have an opinion for you too!!!! argggghhhhh, So you wanna fight????????????? Well here's a Kick in the sacks for you...................................

YOUR Right!!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    [ QUOTE ]
    BTW, i'm not trying to start a riot, /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif just throwin out my opinions like these posts are for, ultimately the original person who posted this thread will decide on his own from reading our info, ain't it cool /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Finding somebody who can rebuild them and the cost of rebuilding them Is about the only reason I wouldn't do one. I look for trucks with these tranny's blown.
    Cause I can! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I believe you think that way "how many have gone south" is because if you really look at the number of vehicle that have this trans, you would understand that with high numbers, you are going to have higher failure rates, and as far as i'm concerned, "most" people don't take very good care of their trans, replacing fluid and filters regularly, installing a cooler, things of the sort. As i stated in the previous post, if it's built right and well taken care of, it will last a very long time. Again, 210k miles on my original transmission in the Burb, and it was only the 3-4 clutches that went out, nothing major like gears or anything. Just another opinion,,, /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Something I've noticed is this...Mr. Average CK5er gets 200K out of his original 700R-4. It finally needs a rebuild so they get a 'performance' build done. The rebuild shop starts adding corvette servo's and stuff and the 'new' tranny last 10K or less. When I see someone post that their second 700R-4 went 200K I'll be impressed.

I'd wager less than 10% of the shops out there truly know enough about a 700R-4 to build a durable one. The rest are BS'ers that'll chuck in the 'Vette servo's and nothing else and call it 'Heavy duty' or 'Performance' or 'Raptor' /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rene

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Something I've noticed is this...Mr. Average CK5er gets 200K out of his original 700R-4. It finally needs a rebuild so they get a 'performance' build done. The rebuild shop starts adding corvette servo's and stuff and the 'new' tranny last 10K or less. When I see someone post that their second 700R-4 went 200K I'll be impressed.

I'd wager less than 10% of the shops out there truly know enough about a 700R-4 to build a durable one. The rest are BS'ers that'll chuck in the 'Vette servo's and nothing else and call it 'Heavy duty' or 'Performance' or 'Raptor' /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]
    This i cannot argue with as i am finally on my second tranny, thats why i posted in another forum, i said lets see how long it takes me to burn this one up. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    Ya never know exactly what your gettin from a rebuild.

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    When I see someone post that their second 700R-4 went 200K I'll be impressed.

[/ QUOTE ] I am unsure of whether it is original or not but my 700r4 , which shifts hard and feels rebuilt, either has 126,000 original miles or unknown miles and the 38,000 I've put on it. I do have many four wheeling trips on this trans BTW. I would say the gearing and ease of install as well as price and availibility are the major factors for a trans swap. You can make ANYTHING last.