Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny & t-case help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83bowtyblazer, Aug 28, 2001.

1. 83bowtyblazer

83bowtyblazer 1/2 ton status

Hi Folks, a buddy of mine just bought an 87 blazer from adealer and he's been having some minor trouble with it. When he left the lot, the 4x4 shifter fell out through the tunnel and bounced up in the road He couldn't find the bolt or bushing. I have a bushing made for him and installed the lever. I noticed that it had only 3 detents. It's obviouly not the factory t-case cause all detents are in fwd to aft motion. No side to side to get to 4L. There is no tag on it so I can't tell what kind of T-case it is. Can anyone help??? ALso, it's got a TH-400 tranny but only has 3 gears. Is it possible?? I could have swore the TH-400 has OD. Could there be something wrong with the linkage??? He's running a 6" lift with 35" BFG A/T's Thanks for the help. Ryan

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I really can't tell you much about that transfer case, but my NP203's shift positions are all in a row from back to front: HI-LOC, HI, N, LO, LO-LOC. No side to side movements.

The TH-400 is a 3 speed tranny, so is the TH-350. The 700R4, 4L60 and 4L80 are the only trannies with overdrive (...that you could find under a Blazer [​IMG]).

What is his shifter marked?

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

3. 83bowtyblazer

Ok cool. The tranny part I understand. But what about the transfer case?? His 4x4 shifter says 2H, 4H, N, 4L. Are there certain type of t-cases that will bolt up to a TH-400??

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well if the shifter is original to the transfer case I would guess its a NP 208. The shift pattern eliminates the 203 and the 205. I'm not sure about the 241 as I've never owned one.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

That pattern, with 2H toward the firewall is an NP208 which is what would have come in the truck, but does the shifter match the T-case?

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

6. 83bowtyblazer

The original t-case was a 208. This one is not a 208 because you cannot move the shifter to the right to put it in 4 low like a 208. This one has obviously been changed because the prior owner cut a tab out of the tunnel so the lever can go back far enough to get in gear. I'm telling you guys, it's funky. I've never seen a t-case without a neutral position. He even drove it in all 3 positions last night. None of them was N. And...it;s a totally different shifter than the 208. I have a 208 in my blazer and we looked at it to see if it matched. No dice!!!! It also has the small oil drain plugs. The ones with the 1/2" square head. Maybe that'll help. Thanks for help!! Ryan

7. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Try jacking the front end up to see which position the t-case engages 4 wheel. That can help start to figure out the detents.

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

What does the t-case look like? Is it aluminum or cast? does it look like two cases mated together or one case? Give us some details!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

9. 83bowtyblazer

It looks like aluminum, one piece. It;s got a spider web design on the back right side where the drain plugs are. I'll get you some more details tonight when I look at it again.

10. Emmettology 101

Sounds like a 208 or 241 then.... I know with my 208, it wont go into 4L unless I have the tranny in Nuetral.

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

11. 83bowtyblazer

It is not a 208. I have a 208 in my blazer and it looks and operates totally different!!!! Is the 241 an NP???

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Here's a crazy idea...go look at the back of the T-case. There is a round tag with the ID and model numbers stamped on it. Its usually red once all the grease has been removed. The 241 was also made by New Process, could be New Venture as well...the company name changed around when the 241 came out.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

13. Emmettology 101

If ya can, take some pics!! Also, look on the back of the case and see if there is a tag that says what model it is an what mfg.

Mike

14. 83bowtyblazer

This t-case has no tags on it at all. I looked hard last night and found nothing. It is a left side output if that helps. I've been searching the net for pictures of it and it looks like it might be a 241.

15. 83bowtyblazer

Well, I just read the description of the NP 241 and it says it's an aluminum case with 4 drive modes. This one only has 3.

16. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Left side output, a' la Ford? This transfer case is probably out of an S10 or 88-up truck, and was originally set up to operate with an electric shift, which offers no neutral detent. Sounds to me like someone slapped an NP207 or NP231 in there, and jury-rigged a shifter for it. Look on pugsley.alloffroad.com

17. 83bowtyblazer

Cool...thanks alot for all the help!!!!
    Ryan

18. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Does this Blazer have a front driveline on it? I'm really curious to know how they made it work.

If the shoe fits, get another one just like it
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

19. 83bowtyblazer

yup yup. I'll try to take some pics of it tonight.

20. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Cool - I'm scratching my head here!

If the shoe fits, get another one just like it
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>