Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny/t-case install

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddytazz, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Last weekend I took the tranny and t-case out of my dads burb all as 1 lum unit(TH350/203). This weekend I get to put them back in. If I were to put the tranny and t-case back in separately, how hard is it to get to the upper bolts to be able to torque down? By looking at it sitting on the ground, looks like it would be a pita, but I could be wrong. What has everyone else done?

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

I used like 4-5 long extensions and a wobble to get them, was a pita but it worked well

3. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

If you use the 4 or 5 extensions and a wobble put electrical tape around the wobble so it doesn't wobble so much.

That's kind of a funny sentence.

Or you could cut a hole in your floor.

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

good idea we used a spring on the outside of ours

5. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

If you were able to take them out in 1 piece why dont you put it back in the same way? Was it just a PITA?

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you were able to take them out in 1 piece why dont you put it back in the same way? Was it just a PITA?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes it was just a PITA. It's my dad's stock height burb with the exception of the 3" body lift(cause of a 2wd body on a 4wd chassis). Anyways, the burb is parked on 6" x 12" x 20' planks that are also 12" off the ground on blocks. He was trying to make it easier to get under there to work.....well that was nice, but all the damn jacks I own wouldn't go high enough so I ended up having to stack blocks on the ATV jack just to make it work /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

What we always did was put an engine hoist through the door with a chain down through the shift hole and put them in together as one unit. Makes life a bit easier when your not fighting to work around a jack and it makes for lining it up with the engine easier.

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

That would work just fine if I had a engine picker, but my engine puller consists of the rafter of a barn and a winch /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

last time i did a th350/203 combo i put em in seperatly. i think i just got all the bolts started by hand, tighted up the bottom ones, then used a floor jack to lower the whole works down as much as i could (watch the distrib) to get to the top bolts. still a PITA. the 203 is such a heavy, wobbly POS to put back in.

10. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That would work just fine if I had a engine picker, but my engine puller consists of the rafter of a barn and a winch /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Man do I ever know what that's like. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif