Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny-Tcase Coupler Housing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rox84K5, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Rox84K5

Rox84K5 Registered Member

I need some help/info from any of you '82-'87 K5 Blazer drivetrain experts. When I bought my '84 K5 it was equipped with a th350/208 setup. My guess is that the previous owner ditched his original 700r4 when it puked on him and went lower buck in replacing it with the 350. My torque converter blew on the 350 and I'm in the process of of replacing it with a built 700. My problem is the coupler housing. I have the proper length (tranny-tcase) coupler for the 700 setup but it doesn't have the 3.75" pedestal to bolt up to my cross member. The bolt down ears on my 700 coupler don't appear to be any lower then the bottom hole of the tcase side of the coupler. Is there such a thing as a 700-208 coupler housing with that 3.75" pedestal or was a more tucked up cross member used on those years ('82-'87) 700/208 equipped Blazers?

--James

2. Rox84K5

What.? Noone can help me out on this?

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

sounds like you have a short adaptor ear style. just go grab a newer crossmember and bolt it in place.

4. Rox84K5

Thanks for the reply sweet. So GM did change crossmembers at some point. It doesn't appear that the tall one is available anymore? What year K5 do I need to order this for?
    --James

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

it looks like a ( w ) instead of flat. i would say 85ish and up to 91.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Double hump crossmember, and yes, '85 up to '91 were the years. :wink1:

7. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Ok guys, school me on crossmembers for 85 up.
    I was under the impression that double humps were used with TH400 and 465 trannys, and single humps were used with TH700's; no?
    Jimbo

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Lets see....

Up to '84, all the crossmembers were flat.

'85 began the double-hump and some trucks equipped with the skidplates were a flatter shaped plate. These members and plates ran two years, '85 and '86 only.

'87 began the single-hump, but still referred to the double-hump as there is a small hump on the driver side for exhaust pipe clearance. The skidplates on these are more a "V" shaped when viewed from the side. These members and plates ran up to '91.

There are only two different "hump" style crossmembers and skidplates. But either will work in place of the other as long as the short adaptor is run. None of these will work with the older '84 on down UNLESS you were to fab and install some spacers under the adaptor to fit the flat crossmember. The tall adaptors cannot be used in the double-hump crossmembers at all.

I need to learn my new digi camera and get pics of the skidplates up. I have every one of them made for the GM line of trucks beginning way back in the late 60's. There are quite a few of them.

9. Rox84K5

Guys, thank you all for your informative replies. I just knew if I was patient the information I needed would be forthcoming and y'all didn't disappoint. I'm hoping to have my old '84 K5 back on the road with its new 700r4 in time for winter here in Colorado.

--James