Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny & tcase for cummings

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Guest66, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Guest66

Guest66 Registered Member

I wanna put a 5.9 cummings with a banks kit in place of muh 6.2 in muh blazer, what would be a good tranny and tcase to go with that engine? I want to git some UNIMOG axles too, what would be the best for all those? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

nv4500 on the trans.

3. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

you think like i do... i just don't have the money to do it. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

you can also put any GM trans behind it with an adapter, but the nv4500 would be sweet

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

First of all, its CUMMINS. Second, there are a bunch of transmissions you can run behind a 5.9, but without changing the engine to trans adapter, you can run an NV4500, NV5600, or a 47rh ( dodge auto, stay away from them). The NV4500 will bolt directly to an NP205 from a first gen. dodge truck. Do not waste the money on a Banks kit for a 5.9, go to piersdiesel.com and read up on the kinds of things you can get for performance.

5. Guest66

Guest66 Registered Member

Sorry bout the spellin, I havent played with my dad's dodge in awhile, LoL, i Want to get the 24 valve HO that has the most torque and HP right? thanks for the website, i checked it out, pretty interesting, I am going to have to remember it a couple years down the line, when i Have the bank needed to complete my dream. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif how do you think the tranny and t-case you mentioned would go with UNIMOG axles with 5.13 gears? Im not sure what gearing id get, i just read about a K30 i was thinking that would be kinda low, I was thinkin more round 4.56, what would you recommend?

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I think the most straightforward swap is to get the entire engine/tranny/t-case from a 89-93 Cummins Dodge. The 5-spd (Getrag) isn't the greatest, but enough companies sell NV4500 "drop-ins" for that situation. The Dodge t-case is a RH-drop NP205 with a monster 1410-series yoke on the back.