Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny temp gage install

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MEPR, Feb 22, 2005.

1. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

Alrighty whats the easiest way to hook one of these bad boys up? The directions say i have to drill a hole in the oil pan. Arent there some plugs i can take out and put the sender in?:confused:

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The sender needs to be in the tranny pan reading the temp of the fluid that is about to go through the tranny, not fluid that is moving under pressure.

3. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

Thanks I needed to know this also! Looks like I am tapping the pan too!

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

alrighty thanks. Looks like my dad and i will be brazing that in when i get my 3/4tons.:cool1:

sorry that was me (mepr) again, i should stop stealing pvfjrs computer huh...:blush:

5. veris

veris Registered Member

Well if your not looking for the most "accurate" reading of the temp. Autometer makes manifolds that you can connect up to your oil sending line, to the radiator. I did this on one of my cars, and it seems to do a good job of telling me when things are getting hot, and it was an easy install.

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

What type of tranny? In my 4l60e there was already a sensor boss that had a tapped plug in it. All that I had to do was take out the plug and screw in the sensor!

7. short sub

short sub Registered Member

i am running an autometer mechanical tranny temp gauge, it is exactly like a water temp. gauge except ,or course, that it is threaded in the tranny pan. from what weve noticed it is sometimes hard to get the electrical sender to ground in the pan and doesnt always work right. just a suggestion lata

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dude, make up your mind, is it mechanical or electrical? If there are no wires that attach to a separate sender then it is mechanical, if the sender is separate then it is electrical.

Mechanical gauges use capillary tubes that are one piece with the gauge and the sensor portion of the assembly and does not require a ground to make them work unlike electrical gauges.

9. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Dude, I think his suggestion was to use a mechanical guage like he has because he has noticed electrical ones don't always ground well :dunno: