Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny temp gauge on a th400?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jp0863, Oct 9, 2004.

1. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

is there a spot on the th400 that i can mount a tranny temp gauge? anyone done it? and got pics? thanks.

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I have plans to, but haven't done it yet. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

So I'll give you a bump so I can get some info, too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    is there a spot on the th400 that i can mount a tranny temp gauge? anyone done it? and got pics? thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did the B&M kit; the sender for it comes with a T-section and fittings, so you just cut out an inch or so of the tubing going to the cooler, then splice the sender in.

Gauge proper went up under the dash, but I assume you're talking about the sender.

The other option is to drill into the pan, which either means it's gotta stick straight down, or you gotta get one of those deeper-than-stock pans to drill into the side.

-- A

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

On my 700r4 I put the sender (an electronic one) in the pump pressure test port.
    [​IMG]

I bet the test port is somewhere near that on a th-400.

5. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I went ahead and bought the remote transmission filter kit. It has the location for the temp sending unit built in and you get the temp of the fluid as it leaves the transmission on it's way to the cooler. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Yep, the th400 has the pressure port in the same location.

7. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

I know you've already made your choice, but I need to put in my $0.02 since someone else hasn't chosen!!!

The one thought is to monitor the temperature of the coolant output. With this, you know what THE maximum temperature of the transmission is, you know it can't be any worse than this.

Put the sensor in the pan (my choice). This tells you the temperature of the oil the transmission is using, a better choice in my opinion.

I have been able to mount a drain plug in a TH700R4 on the side of the transmission. NO clearance issues, it was pretty tight :-) I could snap a pick if you desperately need it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    On my 700r4 I put the sender (an electronic one) in the pump pressure test port.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Do you happen to know if that is the hottest fluid?

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Putting it in the pump pressure test port will get the temp after the pump but before it goes to the cooler. This is most likely the highest temp in the trans. The hottest temp is what is going to do the damage (break down the fluid) so I would rather measure the hottest temp. There also isn't an easier place to put it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif The plug on a 700r4 is 1/8"NPT and so was the sender (electronic ...mechanical are bigger) so all I had to do was remove the plug and install the sender in its place.

Don't use any teflon tape on the sender. It needs a good ground to get an accurate reading.

We measure engine temp at the hottest place in the engine (in the head) so why not the trans /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Coolant is much cooler in the rad. or in the block.

10. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Any info on where to get an electrical unit as opposed to a mechanical unit? Thanks for the help!

11. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

thats exactly what i was looking for, thanks ! i was thinking tere had to be a test port somewhere, but dont know much about the th400.

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Mine is an AutoMeter from www.summitracing.com

I'm not a big fan of mechanical gages because I don't like having to run that long tube that you can't disconnect from the back of the gage. Makes mounting it a pain. I have my gage in an A-pillar gage pod (in my s10). I don't think I could have run a mechanical gage if I wanted.

13. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Triaged, Thanks for the info. Now can anyone list the operating ranges that a TH400 ought to run at? Don't think I've seen that much info on this but I'd sure like to monitor the tranny as opposed to replaceing it! Thanks again! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

[​IMG]

This is true for any auto.