Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny temp gauge/sending unit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jul 15, 2000.

I have never ran a temp guage on a tranny and will be soon to monitor a used tranny I am getting.(700R4) What kind of gauge and sending unit should I get? VDO makes one with 300 degree sender w/3 different size bushings for $15.95 and the gauge is $27.95. I think these would do the trick, but where do you put the sender? I thought of buying the B&M drain plug kit for $6.50 and use the sender as the plug. I have heard of a person doing that. Any ideas or experience on this.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

1. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You want to mount it in the return line back to the transmission or in the bottom of the pan to get a true reading .

2. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Mine is on the return line of the trany, from the extra large cooler. Works lokie a charm, runs very very very cool

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. NEW AtlassII ordered 5-15-00. 38" sx's -

3. What kind of fitting are you running in the return line and what type of sending unit?

4. Thanks for the post, I talked to Steve Holmes at BowTie Overdrive and he said to get the best reading it should be in the pan !!

5. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I did this in my Typhoon a while back. My trans guy said it's better to run it off the out line from the tranny. He said you will get a better idea when your tranny is heating up and it's more accurate than measuring the pool of trans fluid in the pan. My setup involved a remote oil filter kit from summit for $25 and it came with a drilled hole and tapped threads for the temp sensor. The remote filter also gives you added protection. Any trans temp gauge will work.

Shawn
    87 K5

6. That does make more sense to do it after it leaves the tranny, so it gets no heat from the metal itself and gives you a true reading of how hot you'd be running. I was actually looking at an aux tranny filter, but wasn't sure of a place on it to put the sending unit. Thanks I will probably do that and get a deep sump pan with the cooler, temp sender/guage and aux filter to keep her cooler and monitor it.

7. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

If you put it in the return line after the cooler then you'll know if the cooler is doing its job.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com

8. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

9. Well I made the decision to go with an auxilliary tranny filter with the VDO-323905 temperature sender mounted in it and a 300 degree VDO-310602 gauge. I also have a 24,000 GVW cooler for it too. My replacement tranny should be in by weeks end. Anyone coming to Fort Knox to help me put it in?

10. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

Remote filters are a bad idea.
    If they restrict flow it will kill the tranny fast.
    Steve Holmes hates them.

Remember all the fluid suplied to the internals of the tranny is first pumped via the external lines to the cooler and any restriction is restricting the ATF flow the thoses internal workings.

Just change the fluid and internal filter once a year.
    The temp fitting also asts as a drain plug in the pan to make the job cleaner.

Then you have nothing to gain and plenty to loose by using the external filter.

11. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

No offense turbo but I disagree with that. If thats the case, why does Art Carr recommend them on their high dollar transmissions? As long as you change the filter every 30k miles, I don't see a problem with the pressure. This was originally suggested to me by Brian Hartman who rebuilds almost all the GMC Syclone/Typhoon transmissions nationwide. I don't think Jegs or Summit would be selling these remote tranmission filters if they did cause failures.

Shawn
    87 K5

12. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Does anybody have a pic of one of these remotes installed?

13. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

Supercharging an engine leads to extra stress and earlier failure but summit sells superchargers.

All Steve Holmes does for a living is overdrive chevy auto and his quote on remote filters was "I hate them"
    Summit is safe a little less flow a little slip a little erlier failure who to blame.
    I'd blame the silly guy who put one on with nothing to gain because he figured it was an easy way around changing the internal filter as often.
    Having the filter before the pump instead of between the pump and the internal workings is a better design that is why they design them that way.

These arn't engines with combustion products on the cylinder walls so why do you want a engine type filter.
    They are clean self contained systems with no internal combustion.

But hey its your tranny.

And if the only way you will ever bother to change the filter is to have an external one then that is probabbly better then nothing.

14. Where do I put the sender

Okay if I don't go with the Aux filter, where do I put the sender for my temp gauge? I want specifics, like where, how, ect... I was thinking of extra protection with the aux filter and a place to screw in my VDO sender too, not just an easier way to change the filter! That is why they call it an aux ! Help guys, my tranny is here and I pick it up tommorrow.

15. Casey 86K5

Casey 86K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Where do I out the sender

I have a remote filter installed on my transmission and have had no problems with it.. My grandfather also has one installed on his Suburban and has over 120,000 miles on the transmission and no problems. As far as restrictions go- I dont think there is any more restriction with the remote filter than there would be with a large auxiliary cooler.

16. Re: Where do I out the sender

I am talking about running the aux filter with a 24,000 GVW cooler too.

17. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

Re: Where do I out the sender

I put that cooler on mine it is a good cooler.
    I see no advantage in the inline filter.
    Again it is between the pump and the internals of tranny in the fluid flow while the in pan one is before the pump.
    I asked Steve and I quoted him acurately when he said he hates inline filters.
    Last I knew you respected his opinion.
    Its your truck do as you please.
    I have been very pleased with my 8600 GVW burb since I put in the cooler and tranny from Mr Holmes.

18. Who knows !!

I don't know, I would personally like to leave out the aux filter myself too. I need to find a good place to put the temp sending unit though. Coming out of the pump would be good or in the pan.

19. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

Re: Who knows !!

Mine has/came with a drain plug brazed into the pan.
    I just removed the drain plug and screwed in the sending unit.
    Now the sending unit is my drain plug as well as a sending unit.