Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Temp Gauge

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MilpitasK5, Nov 10, 2002.

1. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

I want to install a tranny temp gauge in my 700R4. Will I have to install a sensor or something to the tranny or can I just tap in to something that currently resides in the tranny?

Thanks in advance! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

you will have to tap into the tranny pan (or that is what i did) and then run the sensor wire into the cab. Then all you do is wire it in with the tach, put it in your old water temp. pod and BOOM! all done.

I might be able to sell you my old one for cheap. I want to get one that matches the other guages. if you can wait a few weeks, i'll let you know. I have a tap for the auto meter sensors already too, i just need to find it /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. MilpitasK5

Cool beans Zakk! Lemme know. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

what size was your old water temp guage? 2 1/16?

5. MilpitasK5

Uhhhh.... I don't even know. I gotta go dig it out of the Poacher...

6. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

What I did is right above where the shifter goes into the tranny pull out the brass plug right above that and the sending unit should fit right into there.

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Then all you do is wire it in with the tach, put it in your old water temp. pod and BOOM! all done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that the resistance curve for the tranny temp sensors is the same as those for the water temp or did you put a stock water temp gauge in your tranny pan? Or are you saying that you installed an aftermarket tranny temp guage inside the cluster? Where does the tach come into play? Is that just your power source? Surely there are plenty of power sources besides the tach. What if someone doesn't have a tach?

I am confused /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

HAHA! i see where the confusion is!

i have assisted Chris in previous electrical...we'll call them adventures /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

He has a tach and dead water temp guage in a cluster below his stero area on the dash board.

I was suggesting using my old tranny temp guage, pod, and new sender and installing it where the old "dead" water temp guage was. The tach is nearby, so using it as a power source might be an idea. The sender would go into the tranny pan, after it is tapped and treaded. I believe that this is the best way to judge true tranny temps, because the fluid is what gets hot and is supposed to dissipate the heat. If the fluid is getting hot, you can bet your bottom dollar it is time to shut down, much like i did in Lopez Canyon. Guage got to 220* and i killed it. Didn't help i leaked 2 quarts due to a leak in the morning after a night run in the dunes. might have dragged the front end following RyanB. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I ran mine in parallel, and they work great.

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I've got my fitting in my pan. I drilled out the proper size hole, tapped it, and then carefully screwed in the fitting. There isn't a whole lot of material to hold the threads, so I then sealed all the way around it with JB Weld. Works great...no leaks, and I can assure you that it isn't coming out!

Then for the gauge: The power source I used was a 16 or 18 gauge red wire coming from the alternator. (I just tapped into it using a tap-splice connector). Then I attached the sensor wire to the proper stud. For the ground - I just screwed into the firewall. And, for the power for the light - I actually just attached that wire to the power stud on the back of the gauge. The light is lit any time the truck is on, but that's fine with me. (One less wire to find and splice into)

10. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

I added the Mr Gasket drain plug to my 700R pan. Instead of using the typical pipe fitting as the plug, I replaced it with a VDO sensor that has the same threads. It works excellent....no leaks and gives a fairly accurate temp of the oil. Good luck!
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I hope that gage hooked directly to the alternator doesn't ever develop a short!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

12. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I just remembered that the wire I tapped into goes from the positive of the alternator to the plow motor solenoid. Is that bad?? If my gauge does go, could it wreck any of that stuff?

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    What I did is right above where the shifter goes into the tranny pull out the brass plug right above that and the sending unit should fit right into there.</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Did this as well as it is the most accurate temp of what the clutch pack is seeing (rather than in the pan or one of the cooler lines) as that is what determines fluid breakdown or not (this was suggested by our truck pullers auto tranny sponser, and we have yet to lose a tranny).

14. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

got a pic of this alleged brass plug above the shifter? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

15. Leadfoot

If I can get a digi-cam. The other guy said it was "brass", I don't think that was the material, but there is a plug there. I'll see if I can find any pics online and circle it.

16. Leadfoot

[​IMG]

The plug you remove to insert the temp sender is circled in red.

I believe the "technical" term for it is "diagnostic port". It is where temperatures and pressures are read when diagnosing tranny problems or checking to see if a rebuild works as spec'd.

17. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I'll try calling a Tranny shop and getting their opinion today as well. It might be interesting to see what the different reads would be. If i already have one plumbed into the pan and add another for the "diagnostic port", i could try out that theory,

18. Leadfoot

It would be interesting to see the difference. Also any gauge (whether it be on the side of tranny, pan, cooler lines, etc.) is better than none at all.

19. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Very true. I'll get in touch with MilpitasK5 and see if he wants to give this a go with me.

20. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I installed a B&amp;M Tranny temp gauge on my truck awhile back. It is set up to cut into the return line from the tranny cooler. I spliced it inline, and then ran the wire from the sender up threw the Tcase shifter hole in the floor. (out of the way of the shifter) I then grounded the gauge to the floorpan, and connected the power wire to the wire from my CB. (mounted under the dash above the tcase shifter. The B&amp;M gauge is a lighted light so I connected it to the light that illuminates the tcase shifter position. The gauge itself is mounted to the plastic cover/boot assembly under the shifter. So that way I can keep an eye on the gauge, but if I fry a tranny I can blame it on the co-pilot when I am wheeling. (I tell them to watch that gauge as they can see it too)