Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny temp gauge.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

just picked up a digital trans temp gauge and i'm a little leary about the sending unit. the instructions say to get a brass T fitting and splice it into the line going to the cooler. i dont like this idea.sounds like a PITA. has anyone done it this way? it says i can find the parts at any auto/ plumbing store. i kind of doubt this as well. should i just stick it into the pan? whats the best way to do it? Thanks

2. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Well I've heard of people puting the sender in the pan. Also seen an article in petersen's, they tapped of the main line pressure to run a temp and pressure gauge. Personally I'd do it that way.

3. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

you will get a more acurate reading if you do it in the pan. thats how i did mine. geting it to seal was a bit of a pain but it seals fine now.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

id did it in the line..but my damn sender doesnt work..guage tested ok but i get no reading sao im guessing it was bad..havnt replaced it yet...but anyway..if you have a small tube cutter its not that hard at all..my B&M one came with all the fittings to do it though..

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

did you guys put anything inside the pan to seal it? like tack weld a nut? or just tap the pans metal and use alot of goop.

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I just tapped the pan (can get about 1-2 threads in /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) and then J-B welded just on the outside.
    No leaks from the sender, despite what the mess of fluid on the underbody of my truck may suggest /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I just installed one in my s10 this weekend (700r4). I put the sender in the pressure test port in the driver's side of the tranny. It had a 1/8" NPT plug in it and the sender was also 1/8" NPT. It worked out perfect...like it was ment to be there (and I am sure it was). The test port has fluid comming right from the pump before it goes to the cooler. TCI has pics of the locations on their website if you can't find it.

My truck runs about 175deg just normal driving. It has a 195 t-stat and the cooler lines go to the rad and then to a tube and fin in front of the condenser.

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The easist place to put it is in the test port as above post says. It will work fine and give you a pretty good idea on how the trans is running. Plus it makes properly adjusting the TV valve real easy. BUT. The best place is in the pan. The sensor in the pan will tell you the temp of the bulk of the fluid..
    Putting a sensor in the test port or the cooler lines just gives you the temp at that point. Depending where it is it may be hotter or cooler than the fluid in the pan.
    What you mainly need to know is if the fluid in the pan is too hot and cooking in there. Trans fluid starts breaking down rapidly at constant temps over 180 degrees. When everything is warmed up good constant temps of 120 -160 in the pan are ideal for long trans life.

10. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

just installed my temp gauge yesterday. 10 minutes down the freeway the temps climb over 200 and hover around 205-210. is this because i have the sending unit in the test port?thus making the temps higher. i have a stock tranny cooler. ya think i need a bigger one?

11. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    10 minutes down the freeway the temps climb over 200 and hover around 205-210. is this because i have the sending unit in the test port?thus making the temps higher.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that port will read a little higher than what's in the pan because it's coming right from the torque converter. So, you should be fine.

[ QUOTE ]
    i have a stock tranny cooler. ya think i need a bigger one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure wouldn't hurt to put one on. About $45 and you'll have a happy tranny.

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The reason your trans temp runs that hot is because that is the temp your motor is running at. Your coolant is heating your trans fluid in the radiator trans cooler (is it really a cooler if it heats the fluid...how about calling it a heat exchanger). If you want the trans temp to be lower than the motor you will have to disconnect it from the radiator heat exchanger and just run a cooler in front of the radiator.

13. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i have a stock tranny cooler. ya think i need a bigger one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi. You might want to check link below out. I put the tranny temp guage in the pan and was running in the same temp range as you (200-215) before replacing the fin/tube w/ the stacked plate cooler. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

click here

14. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

just read the link, thanks for the info guys. i think i'll go with a new big cooler. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif