Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny temp guage in cooler line

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazen_md, Jul 25, 2002.

1. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

For the tranny temp guage do you guys put it in the return line or in the feed line cause I don't really want to tap into my lines.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'd put it in the line that goes to the cooler, since the temp of that fluid is the temp of the fluid that the tranny is actually working with. </font color>

3. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

I meant to say I don't want to tap into the pan.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

People tap into the pan and into the lines (not a problem) but maybe not the best temp indicator as you could get the return line (lower temp than tranny is working at), and same with the pan (cool fluid returning from ....the cooler). There is at least one (and I think more) ports on the housing of the tranny. The one I used is located above the shifter on the drivers side. This is where some techs will check pressures/temps as this is what the clutches/valve body/internals are seeing for temp and pressure. Best thing is you don't have a line going to the pan (to get snagged or in the way when you want to pull the pan to change filter) and one less connection to fail if you put in it in the cooler line. You can put it anywhere in the system (as any reading is better than none), but I suggest putting it into one of the ports in the housing (plus it keep it out of harms way and is a simple screw in job, no modifications).

5. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

I looked into using the pressure port that is reffered to above the shifter, but it is tiny, 1/8 pipe thread. This may work fine for an electric guage, but if you have a mechanical guage, you would not be able to adapt it big enough for the capilary bulb to ever fit. You may have read and seen my pan installation. Keep us posted on how you do yours. Id like to see some other options.

6. Leadfoot

Never even thought about the capillary tube /forums/images/icons/blush.gif , I went with a Dakota Digital unit (electrical). I like it, but I also like the mechanical because it doesn't rely on 12V power. As for what tori89k5 did, it is not a bad way to go if you use mechanical. Someone also mentioned it is a handy drain when dropping the pan (didn't think of that either /forums/images/icons/blush.gif ). I am definitely slow on the uptake this year!

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Installing it in the pan is the correct place to install a temp gauge.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yup. The pan is the best place for the temp guage to get accurate readings on fluid temp The whole idea of the temp guage is to see what temp the fluid is. Not the Tranny. The Trans can stand far more heat than the fluid. ATF starts breaking down rapidly at temps over 180 degrees. loosing its lubricating and friction qualitys. This causes wear.
    The optimum temp for ATF is 150 -165. That is the average temp the fluid should be when it is sitting in the pan. Taking readings in other parts of the trans or cooler wont give you an accurate reading of the true condition of the fluid.

9. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

I plan on using the transmission temperature manifold supplied by autometer that taps into your cooler line I am not going to cut the line though I am just going to break the line loose and then screw that in the manifold and then take another short piece of line and attach back to the cooler.

10. Leadfoot

Correct me if I'm wrong but if the fluid is in the tranny, and the tranny is 200+, then the fluid is 200+. The fluid in the pan is mostly cooled fluid (not touching hot friction material such as bands and clutch packs). As far as a mechanical sending unit, you are limited to where you can mount it, usually pan or cooler lines (that is why tori did it in the pan). The fluid can reach 200+ but then be cooled to under 200. You may not know your fluid is burnt until it's too late. I would assume that people who put it in the pan know that when the gauge reaches close to 200, say 195+, they know the internal fluid has already seen 200+ so they are aware of that. Again could be wrong, but highly doubt it after talking to tranny rebuilders and looking at hydro schematics of auto trannys. I have been told to put sending units in the diagnostic ports as that is the true reading, but it may be hard without makeing adapter/spacers for mechanical ones, so putting it in the pan can give the operator an indication of what the tranny is doing, rather than having no indication at all.

11. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

Instead of using the cooler lines I decided to go ahead and put it right in the transmission I used that plug right abover the shifter it was a whole lot easier than putting in lines. The sender from the autometer z series guage screwed right in no problem.

12. BIG STEVE

BIG STEVE Registered Member

The correct place is cooler line to cooler as close to trans
    as possible all heavy truck and equipment do it that way
    the hottest spot not the coolest.
    As far as 195 being to hot the cooler is warming up the oil
    below that cant cool 165 with 195 its built that way.
    unless your using an air exghange cooler. too cool isnt
    any better than to hot need cold oil bypas if not warming
    up to operating temp 255 is close to hot 275 is to hot
    my work truck 02 chevy HD tran gauge does not get red until 275 and have had it to 240+ scooting thousands of ponds
    of cutting edges and teeth up hog back out of denver
    oil isnt burnt. sliping cluthes ar what burns atf. the wourst
    just my opinion &amp; years around heavy equipment.
    90 JIMMY MANUEL TRANS DONT NEED NO STINCKING GAUGE /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. SLOK5

SLOK5 1/2 ton status

Ill dig up an old thread for some help. I have a 89 k5 700r4. Tried to install my electric temp sensor in that port that several people mentioned but is not deep enough for my sender.....Maybe it was not a 700r4 that you guys had? or did you have a shorter sensor?

14. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

15. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I put mine in the pan. Got a drain plug kit and welded the bung in the pan. Works like a champ and is the most accurate IMHO.

16. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I bought one of the aftermarket filter kits and installed it in the outlet line between the trans and the cooler. The housing has a port for a sending unit, so you get of the fluid as it leaves the transmission. Makes for an easy, clean install.