Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny temp guage question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big jimmy 91, Apr 3, 2004.

1. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

I want to install a tranny temp. guage in my truck to keep an eye on things when towing and driving hard.
    What type of guage , where does it get the temp. reading from , what is the normal operating temp of the 700R4?
    Or is this really required?
    Any info would be appreciated , thanks
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Here's what I'm running.

[ QUOTE ]
    What type of guage

[/ QUOTE ]

Autometer 2 5/8" tranny-temp gauge, electric sender.

[ QUOTE ]
    where does it get the temp. reading from

[/ QUOTE ]

Sender is mounted in the pan.

[ QUOTE ]
    what is the normal operating temp of the 700R4?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine stays right around 150 degrees. It will sometimes edge up near 180. Anything over that and I start worrying/taking it easy.

I highly recommend getting one. Knowing how your tranny is running during certain conditions is very important. When I'm on the freeway and my 700R4 isn't in OD-lockup (ie, still in OD, but the converter unlocks, like when going up a grade and it needs a little more gas), I can literally watch my temp gauge climb.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

There are several places you can locate the sending unit. I prefer mine in the line that comes out of the tranny. That way I know how hot my trans is running. Some people like it in the pan or the other line. These will tell you how hot the trans fluid is before it goes into the tranny I think. Not necessarily how hot the transmission is running. From what I have read your trans shouldn't run over 180. Anything above that and you begin to shorten the life span of your transmission.

4. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

How is the sending unit mounted to the pan , or line?
    Does it go in-line , or do you put a hole in the pan etc.
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif thanks

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

think befor getting the B&M one from sumit..the damn sender i got with mine was no good, never had time to get it replaced, ive had the gauge in there for probobly half a year and its never worked lol..

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How is the sending unit mounted to the pan , or line?
    Does it go in-line , or do you put a hole in the pan etc.
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Pan: Weld in bung with proper thread

In-line: Either use some fittings in one of the lines or put it in the test port on the left side of the tranny. This was all dicussed about 1 week ago (with pics)...just do a search to find it.

7. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    think befor getting the B&M one from sumit..the damn sender i got with mine was no good, never had time to get it replaced, ive had the gauge in there for probobly half a year and its never worked lol..

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that. I also bought a B&M electric tranny gage that didn't work. I used a Autogage 2 5/8 mechanical water temp gage as my tranny gage this time. I drilled a hole in the rear of the pan and welded a bung in. Works great.

As another poster has already said,,, keep the temp under 180 degrees if possible. Around 160-170 degrees would probably be perfect, hot enough to burn off condensation and cool enough to last a long time. Once you get to 200 degrees, tranny life really goes down hill fast.

I converted my AC condensor into my tranny cooler and my temps have yet to get over 150 degrees. I live in Ga. so I'm not too worried about the fluid being too cool. Beside that, I know for sure the fluid coming out is plenty hot at times,,,,, you can't touch the line going to the cooler it's so hot. That should burn the water off I reckon.

8. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

Sh*t I just purchased the B&M tranny temp gauge, /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif oh well if it doesn't work I'll just tie it to a rock and then send it back to checkers /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif