Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny temp guage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4X4HIGH, Nov 19, 2003.

1. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

On a 700R4 tranny where is the best place in the tranny pan to install a mechanical capillary gauge sender? I just removed the pan and there isn't much room for anything to protrude into the pan. The fitting I need to install is 1/2" pipe. I figure I will make up a steel fitting to weld onto the pan for the brass 1/2" NPT fitting to screw into then the gauge's capillary tube will screw into it. About the only place that looks feasible is in the rear portion of the pan since that seems to have the most available area but I am open to suggestions.

2. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

I'm going in from the front of the pan just because I don't have enough line to go further back. I might be able to place the bung on the drivers' side of the pan but I will not be able to make it to the back of the pan for sure. If you have to, you could always add a spacer {pipe} so that the bulb is pretty much flush with the inside of the pan. Reckone I'll find out for sure this weekend.

At first, I thought I would not be able to reach the pan at all with the line supplied. I rigged up a three way fitting with compression fittings to place in the line to the cooler. It would work, it just looks like a Jerry rig though.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I've got a sender plumbed into my 700R4 pan here.

Mine isn't as big as what you're putting in though. It's a 1/4" NPT sender and goes into the pan about 1/2".