Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny temp sensor placement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 91K5, Oct 21, 2001.

1. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

I'm going to be installing a transmission temp gauge on my '91, and need some recommendations on where to install the sensor. I've seen some transmissions that people actually put the sensor into a fill hole, or pressure check bungs, and a lot of people that just put them somewhere in the lines that run to the radiator cooler. I have the stock TH700R4 tranny and could use any recommendations on where to place this for the most accurate readings. Thanks!

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I put my sensor in my return line from the radiator. I used the B&M gauge and sender and ran the wires threw my transfer case shifter hole.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I ordered a TCI aluminum pan with my guage and tapped into the pan while i had it out. not sure if it was the right way to do it, but it seemed to me that that was the best spot to see exactly how my TH350 is feeling. [​IMG]

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

4. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

The best place to mount the sensor is in the pan. Second best place is in the line running to the cooler so you have the temp reading before the fluid goes through the cooler. If you put the sender in after the cooler you will not have an accurate reading of where your tranny temp actuallyy runs at.

78-K5 4"Lift 35"Tires 400SB TH350 NP205
    73 Vega 350SB TH350

5. Hoss

Hoss Registered Member

I didn't even know there were sensors for trannies. Anyone have an online link to any they recommend?

-C

6. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Heres a link:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</font color=red>[/b]

7. Hoss

Hoss Registered Member

Cool thanks!

How do you know what tempature ranges your tranny should be in?

-C

8. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Mine stays at around 160 normal everyday driving. I went cross country a month ago and on a couple of really steep and long mountain passages it bottomed out at 280 !! . So I changed it after that. If the atf gets cooked it's no longer doing it's job and has to be replaced.

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

9. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

I had mechanical gauge on my '89 K1500.I drilled a hole on the right (passenger) side of the pan.Then I welded small tube on the pan that had a proper thread where I mounted the sensor.Worked great and didn't leak.

I'm too lazy to stick shift,that's why I prefer autotranny.

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The gauge I bought from Dakota Digital comes with an 1/8 NPT threaded adapter (I think that's the size), and it goes into a port just above and to the right of the gear selector (you will see a pipe plug looking thing there). There are a few other plugs on the opposite side of the tranny, but I "think" those are the pressure ports because they look a size bigger. By placing the sensor there you get the temp right off the clutch packs. You can put it just about anywhere and get a temp reading, but the "best" places to put in are in the tranny itself, in the pan, or in the pressure out line. These will all give an idication of how hot the tranny really is. You can put it in the return line, but if you have a really good cooling system you may not get a higher than normal reading until it's too late (i.e. the tranny is way overtemp, but the fluid is being cooled so efficiently that you do not know it until it is too late if you put the sensor in the return line). Just a thought.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot</a>

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You got a aux cooler? 280 is WAY to hot. 200 is where damage to the seals begins.
    I run the sender in the pan. my feeling is I want to see the temp after it has been through the tranny. I run a Hayden gage available at Pep Girls. I also run a Hyden Stack plate cooler that is very simular to the B&amp;M.
    most of the time I run around 150. The hotest I have seen was 200. that was pulling a car up a long steep grade that Semi's were down to 35mph. I also had 3.08 gears and 32's.
    Yesterday I pulled a Cargo trailer full to the brim (about 3,000lb trailer and cargo) for 240 miles and with the 4.10's I never saw above 160.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

12. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Yes, I got a aux-cooler but it is a really smal model and I have to get me a bigger one. I looked at my autometer driving to work today and see it bottoms at 240, not 280 like I first thought. But still it is way to hot I know. I had no other option but to keep pushing for the peak and let it cool while coasting down the other side of the mountain. Norwegian mountain roads are like the ones in the Donald Duck cartoons from the 70's A good steep upphill lasts for near 20-30 minutts to, before it starts going down again.
    35 mud/terrains and 3.08's[​IMG]

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

13. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I put an autometer in my truck, I put it in the line TO the cooler. I like it, It usualy takes a while for the tranny to even warm up. then the hottest I've ever seen it go is 185, that was a big grade at 70 miles an hour with the converter unlocked. but when the converter locks back up, it'll cool right down. normal driving I see temps of 130-150. I also have the 700r4
    Ben 87 Jimmy