Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny temp

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the excuse, May 13, 2004.

1. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

i got a th 350 and put a temperature sensor in the pan. on the highway i get like 190 degreens and when offroading in dry dirt i get 210 maybe 214 at the hottest. should i be worring.

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I've always thought is was suppose to run somewhere around engine temp, this is probably because the factory cooler is in the radiator head.

Check this site for a graph on tranny temps versus transmission life.

http://www.txchange.com/heatchrt.htm

3. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

I just put in a Bowtie overdrive stage 3 700r4. The BTO guys say 150 is ideal, but, ive also been told you want it around 170-180 so that no condensation builds up. I dunno, but your numbers sound kind of high to me.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

That's a little hot. The hottest mine gets is around 180-190. Normal operation is around 150.

Are you running any type of an external cooler? That should help bring down your temps.

5. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I always thought anything over 200 degrees was bad, until I got in my wifes 03 2500hd with the trans temp guage. Red line on her trans temp guage is at 250 degrees. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    Maybe Autos can run a bit warmer than we all think and still live a good life.
    I still belive that anything over 200 is not good. I try to keep mine around 160 degrees.

6. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

New transmission fluids are designed to operate normally in the 170-190 range. The viscosity stabilizes and the trans shift "normal" thats why they usually run thru the radiator cooler before returning to the trans, keeps the temp in the operating range and the water in the radiator is very effective for pulling out heat.

As the temp rises, fluids will start to oxidize causing the fluid to start breaking down. This usually doesnt start to occur until the 240+ range. Up to 215-220 is putting some stress on the fluid so changing it more often is required but it shouldnt damage anything unless operating like that for long periods of time. If you dont have a lockup converter the temp will be higher than most of the 700R4 etc with lockup cruzing down the highway. Depending how hard your running is off-road is something to watch. You would be suprised at what your enging oil can climb to when your wheeling hard, etc (300+ /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif). The post of the temp vs change interval is very good. Give it a good flush every couple years and you'll be ok.