Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny to t-case coupler. How long do they last?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crawlink5, Mar 28, 2004.

1. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

What is the approx life expectancy of these in miles? The reason I ask is because I have some slack in my driveline. It may all be in the rearend (12 bolt gov lock), but I'd just as soon change the coupler too if I can expect it going soon and rebuild the x-case. auto/np203. Stuck on the side of the highway is not a nice thought. This '78 blazer has not seen abuse in its life. No hard off-roading. If I can get another 100,000 out of it I'll wait awhile.

Thanks,
    Doug

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i dont think i have ever heard one going out on an auto, they are 27 spline

the one that wear fast are the 465/205, they are 10 spline

3. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I feel better I think. Something sure is clonking. I'd better get that rearend cover off soon...

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

have you checked your ujoints? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

autos use a coupler?

6. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

U-joints are good. I keep up with them as I'm always cleaning under there and I can see them and finger them. I'm kinda funny about the undersides - fetish or something -I like to keep it clean and armor-alled.

In answer to "Does an auto have a coupler?" - I don't have a clue. I can't find my shop manual. Someone around here must be using it for a door stop.

Something is loose or has wear in it somewhere. I really didn't want to start rebuilding the drivetrain just yet. I wanted to start on the interior next. I hate to put money in a 12 bolt - don't have the money to buy 8-lug wheels and accessories for the 14ff right now.

Thanks

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The GM TH350 to 205 from 1971 to 1980 used a 27 spline coupler just like the 465/205 10 spline version did .

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The TH350 to 205 from 1971 to 1980 used a 27 spline coupler similar to the 465/205 10 spline version .

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Well, your profile says that you have a 700R-4 into a 203. You should ask whoever did that swap how they set it up.

I can tell you that in the 80's, the tranny outputs slid directly into the T-case inputs (no coupler)

10. mritola

mritola Newbie

question along this line -

I have a 79 K20 Burb with a TH400 and a 203 - Texaco flushed my 203 and replaced with ATF - drove for 60 days before we realized this was an issue -

I'd like to change out the 203 to a 205 - have an extra 205 from a SM465 in the garage - I know the TH400 has a 32 Spline output - how hard and expensive is it to change the 10 spline output that is on the T-case already to a 32 spline input on the 205 t-case, and what other parts would I need to bolt it up?

Any ideas/comments/suggestions/thoughts are appreciated.

Amanda

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Amanda, the case needs to be modified slightly to install an input shaft for the Turbo 400 into your 205 case. Stephen Watson at www.offroaddesign.com has the parts that you need to make the swap. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Oh, and by the way, the 203 probably wasn't hurt by being filled with ATF. That's some pretty slippery stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

And welcome to CK5! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, your profile says that you have a 700R-4 into a 203. You should ask whoever did that swap how they set it up.

I can tell you that in the 80's, the tranny outputs slid directly into the T-case inputs (no coupler)

[/ QUOTE ]

I did the swap in Dec. But I didn't pay much attention to the t-case. I looked at it but didn't look to see if that was a coupler on the end of it or part of the shaft.

BTW - Found the looseness in the rear. The nuts on the u-bolts holding the rear to the springs were loose. Very loose. Couldn't tell by looking at it but started rocking it back and forth and I could see daylight between the spring and the perch. Got a lot of turns out of the nuts. Evidently, the rear was sliding front to rear when stopping and rotating up and down.

Thanks for the help. Odd problem. Since I just bought it in Dec I haven't had a chance to put my hands on every nut and bolt yet. I will not feel comfortable til I do. Frame off coming soon.