Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny & Torque Converter??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Dec 10, 2003.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Is there anyway to tell what stall a torque converter is by looking at it or measuring something? How do you tell what tranny its for?
    Is there a difference in the torque converter between a car and truck if both trannies were TH350's or TH400?

Whats the difference between a car TH350/TH400 and a truck TH350/TH400 if they were both behind V8's?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

TH400's for sure have relative strength ratings, I'd bet the TH350's did too. (IE ones behind a big block, or in a "performance" application were built with different components and to different specs)

I've seen later (80's) torque converters have stickers on them with codes (such as "CBBF") which indicate application and stall speed, but never have seen it on older stuff.

I'd bet that a truck trans was designed to handle more of a load than a car trans, again if the car wasn't a performance application.

3. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

I don't know about the torque converter but as far as the difference between a car and a truck the difference is size.

A 2 wheel drive tranny will have a longer cone on the back than a 4 wheel drive.

Bolt patterns are the same for TH350's for a car or a truck.

ML

4. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    don't know about the torque converter but as far as the difference between a car and a truck the difference is size.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Th350 for a truck is bigger than a TH350 from a car application? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I know there is a diff. between a 2wd and 4wd...i'm just wondering about the diff. between the car and truck applications./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Thanks!

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I do not think there is a difference for the older model years without locking converters. When I got my converter for my TH350 it was listed as fitting basically all TH350 and TH400 for a set range of years.

6. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

so a TH350 and a TH400 use the same convertor?

7. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

I had a -82 Yota pickup and swapped in a Buick 231 & th350 and when I asked a local trannyshop about the converter they suggested the th400 converter for my application and it worked great. At least that is my opinion.

8. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A Th350 for a truck is bigger than a TH350 from a car application?

I know there is a diff. between a 2wd and 4wd...i'm just wondering about the diff. between the car and truck applications.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many 4 wheel drive cars did Chevy make???

The difference in size is the ouput cone. The 2 wheel drive TH350 is longer. Whether it's a car or a truck. 4 wheel drive tranny is shorter.
    The only difference in the tranny is the rear cone which you can swap if you wanted to go that far.

9. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Okay....let me restate the question. Is there a difference between a TWO WHEEL DRIVE TH350/Th400 if it was in a truck vs. if it was in a car.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Thats what I was thinking...just wondering how much of a difference. Wonder how long a TH350 trans from a car would last in a 4wd Blazer (assuming we change the shafts out obviously /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Probably just depends how you use it. I've known people who have run 200C's behind 455's and had no problems, and I've blown a TH400 with a 403. (thats not to say the 400 was weak or the 403 was strong, just that the tranny didn't hold up)

A truck would tend to put more strain on the tranny, just due to sheer weight, but if you were easy on it, I don't think it would be an issue. But, if you are like 90% of us, you won't be easy on it, and failure could be right around the corner.

12. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    But, if you are like 90% of us, you won't be easy on it, and failure could be right around the corner.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh well its worth a shot...the 2wd tranny is just sitting there anyways not doing anything...may as well give it a shot/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Guess it wont be...how long it will last, it will be how short of a period will it take my buddy to [darn] it up /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

not to hijack or anything, but my donor suburban has a 2wd th400 w/ a 36 stamped into the case, on the drives side, kinda near the front. My 4wd truck that had a 350 engine and a th400 has an HD stamped on it in the same place. Is this just a code or is it a heavy duty tranny? i havent done anything to my trucks tranny during the swap. Am i gonna blow the th400 apart?

14. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

There are two types of th 350's one is the lockup and other is your average th350. The lock up th350 has a tcc like your 700r4 but without the overdrive and you must use the lockup torque convertor with this trans. The th350 trans is the same between cars and 2 wheel drive trucks but some cars used a small diameter flywheel so the torque convertor was made smaller to bolt up to the flywheel. You can use th400 torque convertor in a non lockup th350. I tryed it once in my 81 chevy truck with a th 350 before I swapped to the sm 465 and I noticed that the 400 torque convertor haa lower stall so it would engage quicker. I also noticed that it felt like it pulled better with heavier loads but this may just be me.

James Startz

15. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Dont forget SOME 4x4 trannies had the thicker K case
    The easiest way to tell them apart is the bolt holes for the cover (I think) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif The thin tin cover over the converter was on the thin case with small screw holes,
    the thick cover had Bolt holes
    bob

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There are three different tailshaft lengths for 2wd TH 350s.

The HD cast into the housing on the TH 400 is for a thick case. My C30 has that as well.

Not sure exactly what "36" means. I've seen "39" as well.

17. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

it might be a 39, been awhile since i looked at it, so if i rebuild one, rebuild the one thats in the truck now?