Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny/Transfer case adapter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big pappa b, May 17, 2003.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

When you guys have replaced a trans or T-case do you buy the gaskets for the adapter or just load it up wih sealer?

2. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

When I put my 465/ 205 together, I used blue RTV. This week I am taking it all down cause it leaks like crazy. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Id use a gasket.
    Mike

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

id use a gasket with a light coat of sealer on both sides of it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. big pappa b

Have you ever bought these gaskets? I'm just wondering the "Technical" name for them. Just to confirm, I'm talking about the gaskets on both ends of the adapter that connects the tranny to the transfer case. 2 parts stores couldn't find what I was looking for and NAPA quoted me $50..Is he on drugs???

5. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Get the gaskets from a local GM dealer, you will be better off and cheaper than CRAPA! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. big pappa b

I'll be caller the dealer as well as a few 4x4 shops I found earlier today. I was just going to use a sealer but after hearing 2 others with bad leaks I will pay the $5 for the gaskets.

7. big pappa b

Just an update. After going to the dealer, NAPA and talking with a few transmission shops, I bought some sealer called "The Right Stuff". Both the tranny shops and the manager at NAPA told me that most of the car manufacturers will be using this stuff for all gaskets except for head gaskets on new cars within a couple years. It's a little pricey...$12 for a "cheese whiz" type can. For $20 I could have gotten 2 smaller tubes and a caulk gun type applicator. I should have went with the caulk gun. The can is fine but after working under the Blazer for a while my hands would be shakey when trying to lay a nice bead of sealer while pressing down on the tube. After I get the truck fired up we will see if it leaks or not. I hope not cause I really don't want to pull it out and seal it again.

8. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

FWIW, When I first picked up my '89 Jimmy the first thing I did was replace the leaking 700R/NP241 gasket. I got the gasket from the GM dealer.

Well, a year or so later, I got the Xfer on the floor again to replace the leaking gasket. This time I used RTV Black. I'm not a big fan of RTV, but I've had better luck with the black stuff. I hope it holds this time; I don't want to drive around with a diaper wrapped around my drivetrain /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

9. big pappa b

the "Right Stuff" is supposed to be much better than any RTV. I was looking for black rtv but was told that the "stuff" wasn't the same but much better. Only time will tell

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hmm, I'll have to look at that. My all around favorite is Super Black RTV, with assorted others for special purposes. Seems like I always have to cut the tubes after a short while, I can never keep them from hardening before using them up... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

As for seals, look for a tranny supply shop. Locally we have a place called "Transtar" where I just bought a *complete* gasket and seal kit for a 205, select seals for a 203 range box + adapter, AND a pan gasket + front seal for a Th350, all for around $30... Good, name brand stuff, not junk. Dealer will get nearly half that for some of the seals...