Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny & Transfer Case Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Yes, I did a search. I could be looking for the answer all weekend! Turns out my transfer case is shot. I have a 700R4/NP241 combo. We found last night that my driveshaft was too short in such a way that it bent a 2nd mainshaft (I'm so sorry tRustyK5 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif). We thought the tailshaft of the case just needed to be sealed up better but when I went to remove it, the tailshaft came off in 3 pieces. I need my truck running and doing it reliably as this is our family vehicle. Here are my options for parts right now:
    208 case $75 - will it bolt right in to my 700R4??
    For a 4 hour trip and a cheeseburger I can get a TH400/203 combo. What would it take to put that in? Thanks.

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

The 208 as long as it came off a 700r4 will bolt right in. I think even the driveshafts are the same. All 208's had a speedo cable and 89 was the only year for the speedo cable on the 241 then they went to the VSS speed sensor.
    To go to the 400/203, you will need new driveshafts, a sorce for vacumme for the modulator, possible exhaust mods to clear, most likely have to drill new holes in the frame to mount the crossmember.

3. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Hey Wayne... I like your sig line. So how does a person get around that speedo cable/VSS issue? Go without a speedometer?? I'm inclined towards the 400/203 combo for durability as I do wheel. Exhaust mods aren't so big of a deal with a pipe bender and a welder /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif talk about fringe benefits of being married to a shop manager. We can lengthen/shorten shafts too, I think, but I'm not sure how well they are balanced til we can try out the first attempt.

Thanks!

4. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

The 208 will bolt up, But I don't know if the 241 Adapter will work I should think the output shaft would be the same. If the 241 Adapter won't work I have one I could send your way.
    If you go with the 400/203 you'll loose the OD and you drive shafts mite not fit right but then they mite not right with the 208 the 208 is a slip yoke and you 241 is as well. I don't know about the 203 but I think they came both ways.
    I would also worry about the 203 being a full time t-case.
    Also if you went with the 400 you could get a 205 to mate up with it pretty easy I would think.

Eric

5. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Oooh... hubby stopped on the way home and arrived with a 241 in the trunk of the car. We'll throw that in for now... thanks guys.

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the rear shaft is running in a bind condition. Maybe see about grinding the yokes a little bit to alleviate it.

Larger joints will usually run a steeper angle. This would require (at least) a larger slip yoke, and a larger end on the driveshaft.

A slip-yoke eliminator kit would shorten the t-case, and therefore relax the angle a little bit. You might even be able to fix your busted t-case with one of these kits!

I'm quite sure a TH400/203 is longer than a TH700/241, making the angle worse. Not to mention losing OD, and has a shallower low range (2:1 vs 2.7:1).

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Good thing those parts were free huh?/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif You're gonna be a T-case expert if you keep this up...and a driveshaft expert!/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I hope you have better luck this time.

Rene