Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny/Transfer Case Stability

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazintweety, Jul 27, 2003.

1. blazintweety

blazintweety Registered Member

We dropped the tranny (700r4) and x-fer case (np208c) this weekend and both seem to have stress cracks. I've posted pics here and was wondering if anyone has seen this type of crack on either and if it's paint or metal (or how can I tell for sure).

If it is metal, what is your opinion as to how long each will last under "nice" driving conditions until they can be replaced (rebuilds can be done to tide things over for a few months, but when they are replaced, I want to save up and go with good quality).

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Those are not cracks. If they were cracked they would be leaking. That is from the casting process and is no big deal. Both of my 241 t cases look like that.

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Yeah, its all good. My TH350 had the same deal going down back there by the governor. And the 241 in my 90 1/2 ton pickup looks just like that. You will know when you crack one of em' open.

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

That's a good thing. The primary cases on my Harley look like that too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. blazintweety

blazintweety Registered Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence everyone. I'll be pulling the tranny apart later this week after I put the x-fer case back together. At this rate, as long as a pack of squirrels don't run out, I think I'll be ok /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif