Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny trouble

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mudder, May 9, 2000.

1. mudder

mudder Registered Member

I have been through two th 350's in the last three months. the fluid is checked and filled if needed every time my 77 jimmy is started. i have 33 inch tires and 3.73 gears. could my gearing be causing the problem? any ideas would be appreciated. i am getting tired of changing trannys.

TAKE IT TO THE MUD

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I don't think the gearing would cause two tranny's to go at in three months.
    After the first tranny went, did you flush out the entire system (all of the lines and coolers). Metal and clutch debris collects in these when a tranny fails and can quickly ruin the new one. The same holds true if you re-use the torque converter. Also, where did the "new" tranny come from? If it was a junkyard special, it may have been on it's last leg before you installed it.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmm also when did it break? In 4wheel drive? If you are breaking them in 4x mode the mabie you don't have matching gear sets and your axels are turning at different speeds......???

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

4. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

If you're running used trannies, sometimes that happens. I'm running the same gears and tires in my 76' and I'll be doing my 2nd tranny this weekend, luckily, my motor has a rod knocking so I get to do a motor swap at the same time. Just another price we pay to have Blazin' fun. BTW, 3.73 gears are just about perfect for 33's , in fact my RPM's feel a bit high when on the freeways.