Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny trouble

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NoShow84, Nov 6, 2002.

1. NoShow84

NoShow84 Registered Member

heres the deal i just took out my 700r4 208 combo and put in a 350 205 combo. i belive i have everthing put in correctly. the problems i'm having is the tranny is reving up and will not shift out of firt gear. i got the tranny from a friend and when he took it out of his truck it ran fine. what could i have done wrong with putting it in. also i changed the fliud in the tranny and there was no metal shaving or anything like that.

2. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Make sure you re-connected the vacuum line from the manifold to the rear of the th350. It sounds like you don't have vacuum. There is a steel line that runs from the rear of the manifold to the rear of the transmission. It is connected with rubber hose on each end.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Did you check fluid level like you are supposed too? Fill it up to full before you start the thing for the first time, then run it through all the gears while idling, then check dipstick and fill to "full" mark?

One point on that procedure though, stay a bit UNDER the full mark (just slightly) because the fluid expands as it gets hot and will lead to an overfull reading if you fill the tranny up cold. (takes awhile to get to proper operating temp)

4. NoShow84

i put the vaccum line on i ran it to the spot right behind the carb that comes out of the manifold

as far as did i check the fliud level yes i put 5 quarts in started it and check it again, ended up putting 9 quarts in and its reading right

5. CooknwithGas

My money's on the vacuum line. Make sure it is not clogged or leaking.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

So you didn't mess with anything other than a fluid change?
    Check the vaccum line for vaccum, maybe you have a leak or he source doean't have vaccum.
    Another thing you might check is that the canister is working. You can take it out and apply vaccum and see if it moves the plunger.
    And last I would check the governor for proper operation.
    If you don't know what that is it's the part under the round cover on the side of the tranny. It's a gear driven centrifugal valve with weights and springs.

7. CooknwithGas

The reason I say vacuum line is that I just re-installed my th350/203 setup with after changing all the seals and replacing all of the fluid and it didn't act like you are saying even with low fluid. It did, however refuse to go out of first gear without the vacuum line attached on an earlier occasion.

8. NoShow84

i will go and recheck the vaccum line and make sure that it is working right

how would i go about checking the governor if it is not the vaccum line

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well if you take the governor out, it has 2 weights tied to a valve and some really soft springs.
    The valve should move without restriction when both flaps go out and in. Most times the valve gets sticky and will take more spinning, and I have even seen a governor loose a chunk of the plastic gear, then the gears will not change.
    Just happened on my friends truck a couple of months ago.

10. NoShow84

i found the problem, the kick down cable was pulled all the way forward which would not let it shift and i geuss is way it was slipping as well. thanks for the help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif