Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Update

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pure Insanity, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

OK. As most of you know I have the tranny from hell. Well I removed it today (for the 5th time) to take it to a different rebuilder. As I was taking it out I was holding the T-case and my brother was lowering the tranny jack, while I wiggled the tranny off the long dowels I put on the block to better locate the tranny. (long story) Anyhow as I wiggled the trans I heard a loud pop! My heart fell, I just knew I broke something. Get the tranny off the tranny jack and on the ground so I can take the T-case off and pull the converter and when we checked the bell housing while the Blazer was still on the lift it all looked OK. Well it was not! I busted the bell housing!! [​IMG] AAARRRGGHH!!! What else can happen! I finish pulling it all apart and drain the fluid which was the prettyest candy red metallic Id ever seen. For those that dont know, this tranny has less than 10 miles since its 2nd rebuild! I load it up and take it to the rbuilder since we still need the tail shaft out of it and he hopefully has a core tranny to build for me and toss my case. I get down there and they find ANOTHER crack in the case that had been there, and comment on how poor of a casting it is. They also wiggled the torque converter input shaft and it moves in and out by a 1/4 of an inch! (supposed to be thousands of an inch.) Its so wiped out that the output shaft also moves in and out from pulling on the front. (not supposed to do that) But wait it gets better! The splines on the tail shaft are slightly twisted also! I tell him this is a 400 horse 350 turning 38s and ask if he thinks it will hold. He says NO, w/ a definitive tone to his voice. This is my day huh? The guy tells me that this is a kit to adapt a TH350 in place of a 700, which I knew, and that the shaft is part of a kit!! [​IMG] Thats it! Im gonna blow! I would have thought he was lying, because of all the things wrong at this point, but this guy has been building trannies for my dad for 14 yrs.

I figure he has had his fun w/ me now cuz he tells me he has another full tranny lying around he will build for me and that the shaft is nothing more than a cut down short shaft that comes in the kit and he has done lots of them. WHEW! I am feeling much better now. [​IMG] He asks if I would rather him build me a 700 and ditch the 350. I talk a bit about it w/ him and its real appealing to get a better 1st gear and O/D. [​IMG] After a few min we decide a 700 is not for me, because he would not want to promise a 700 would last and doesnt want it blowing up on me. Gotta respect him for that.

So to end my novel,[​IMG] he tells me I will have a tranny tomorrow that he is putting mine ahead of everything else!

To recap the last few months, 1st pull was to have it rebuilt, 2nd time was to have it rebuilt again because it was stuck between 1st and reverse, 3rd time was to replace the pump that blew out , taking a 2500 stall converter w/ it, 4th time out was because the new converter had a pinhole in a weld and leaked fluid, fast!, Today was tranny pull #5, and it is all together wiped out! Beyond rebuiling.

Maybe this nitemare will be over soon and I can finally drive this beast!

I get all the exercise I need pushing my luck! [​IMG]

2. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Congrats bro! I think....I'm mean congrats on FINALLY (fingers crossed[​IMG]) getting someone to get the thing done right! Man I would NEVER wish your or solowookies luck on even my worst enemies...well maybe the worst[​IMG]. Good luck man, and I hope it goes well so we can get some action shots of that beast!!

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Itll be a few weeks anyhow before there are any action shots. I want to make sure nothing else breaks before I try anything.

I can prob get some real nice pavement wheeling pics tho! [​IMG] To at least prove it moves now! [​IMG]

I give it 2 weeks and Ill be doing SOMETHING! ( SSSHHHHH dont tell Sandi!! ) LOL!!

I get all the exercise I need pushing my luck! [​IMG]