Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Updating Help Needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigpig72CST, Oct 8, 2006.

1. bigpig72CST

bigpig72CST Registered Member

I have a 79 3/4 ton with a M-2 trans and a NP205 behind a 350. This is the heavy duty 4 speed (3 speed with a granny low) and I find myself constantly shifting driving around town due to the 4.56 gear ratio. I would also like to drop r's when driving down the highway, b/c my truck sound like it is going to take off at 65mph. Someday I would rather this be a weekend rig, but it is my daily driver now. I would like to update to a newer 5 speed tranny and was wondering if there is anyone that has done something similar? What kinds of problems will I run into? Will the stock clutch even work with a newer trans? Thanks.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Here's been my build with a ton of pics and stuff. I removed the SM465 4 speed and swapped in an NV4500 5 speed. Granny low, plus 3 regular and 1 overdrive. Overdrive is .73:1

The beginning: http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186085

This thread shows the Clutch and Advance Adaptors bellhousing install.

This thread shows the rest...there are a ton of pictures: http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186315

Hope that helps. It's not a cheap conversion...although I also added a ton of other stuff like the dual T-cases, but IMO it should make the truck 10 times more civilized and quiet on the freeway.

Rene

3. bigpig72CST

bigpig72CST Registered Member

Wow, that looked like a lot of work, and you did a great job. I don't really need a twin stick here in Iowa, I will be using this as a hunting, mudding, daily driver, truck that will occasionally pull boat/camper/trailer, etc. I will probably look for the same trans you used, but how much of the clutch components will need to be replaced? I know that it is smart to replace the clutch itself when doing something like this. I just want to put a lift on it, change trans and call it good. Who knows I may get tired of that too. :D

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You don't have to change the clutch. I had a bad rear main seal so my clutch disc and pressure plate needed replacing and the flywheel needed surfacing.

Rene